Adam's Reviews > Main Lines, Blood Feasts, and Bad Taste: A Lester Bangs Reader

Main Lines, Blood Feasts, and Bad Taste by Lester Bangs

Dec 01, 2008

bookshelves: art-and-music
Recommended to Adam by: Mark

Along with Hunter S. Thompson, Bangs has given me some insight into the 70's post-counterculture sense of failure, doom, and depression. Also like Thompson, he is able to inject incredible wit, intelligence, and subversion. By studying their heroes (Thompson's Jimmy Carter; Bangs' 60s garage bands), they even offer some hope for new politics and creativity.

Bangs also practices the kind of journalism I love--insistently subjective. Not only are his digressions and tangents hilarious, but they also speak to how music shapes and even changes our lives. Like his other collection (see my review of "Psychotic Reaction..."), his reviews are hilarious and potent. Check out some of the titles to his pieces: "Captain Beefheart's Far Cry: He's Alive, But So is Paint. Are you?", or, "Your Shadow Is Scared of You: An Attempt Not to Be Frightened by Nico."

Particularly good is observing his evolving relationship with the Rolling Stones, and his almost cinematic account of his visit to Jamaica, alongside other sleazy and lame rock journalists.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Main Lines, Blood Feasts, and Bad Taste.