Montana G.'s Reviews > Burn for Burn

Burn for Burn by Jenny Han

Aug 13, 2012

bookshelves: 2012-favorites
Read in August, 2012

Burn For Burn was such a unique, interesting book. It only took me a few hours to read through it and it was really good :)

Burn for Burn switches off between three different girls point-of-views who all live on Jar Island. Lillia is the best friend to Rennie, one of the most popular girls in the school. When she discovers that her good guy friend, Alex, is messing around with her younger sister, Nalia, she's out for revenge. Kat used to be best friends with Rennie, until Rennie decided she didn’t want to be friends anymore. Rennie constantly embarrasses Kat until she gets on her last nerve. The last girl, Mary has just moved back to the island since she had been tormented by a bully a few years before. The bully, Reeve, is now one of the most popular guys in school and doesn’t even remember Mary. All of the girls decide to take matters into their own hands and get back at all the people who wronged them.

All of the characters were really realistic. Kat had a pretty hard life and seemed the most vengeful out of all the girls. It was her idea to seek revenge in the first place. Also, I felt like Lillia was just trying to look out for her sister. She thought she was doing the right thing. They both had their own motivations.

For Mary, I felt so bad for her and all she had gone through. She seemed to be a genuinely nice person and I wish there were more chapters told from her point-of-view. Her relationship with Reeve in the past was really complicated. Reeve seemed to be an extremely two-faced person. At first, Mary didn't really seem to want revenge and she was the nicest out of the three girls. The people the girls decide to take revenge on, Rennie, Reeve, and Alex don’t know what’s coming to them. I thought all of the characters were really well developed and thought out.

There was also a paranormal element to the story. While the girls do different things and seek revenge, freak events keep occurring. It was a pretty weird addition to the story. Also, a lot of the revenge dished out was really extreme. I did enjoy it though, and I’m really excited to see what happens with it in the next book. Overall, I'd give Burn For Burn 4 out of 5 flowers. I really enjoyed the writing and story that Jenny Han and Siobhan Vivian created so well and I’m anxiously awaiting the next book in the trilogy.

Review also posted http://www.thebookbelles.blogspot.com

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Burn for Burn.