jacky's Reviews > Boy Meets Boy

Boy Meets Boy by David Levithan

Dec 01, 2008

bookshelves: 2010, lib-lew, ya
Recommended for: if you liked Perks of Being a Wallflower or Looking for Alaska

For the most part, I really enjoyed this book. It captured the complexities of teen relationships, both romantic and friendship. I also found some of it highly universal. It contained moments that everyone can relate to their adolescence. One example found early in the book would be the silliness of matching blue Slurpee tongues. These places reminded me of Perks of Being a Wallflower, particularly the line from that book about feeling infinite. So many elements are so cool that it is hard to think of them really existing, especially all in one place. Can anyone's life really be that great? Pop art decorated rooms, hidden studios, horror movie ice cream parlors, etc? These elements make a great book to read because you want your life and friends to be that cool, but I don't think anyone's is that completely in real life. The town that is the setting was still too idealistic for me. It was like reading fantasy. Not only was it the sexuality, but the total equality in general. Just having one cemetery for example. Or the academic clubs getting equal play to the football team at a pep rally. Just like a fantasy story with elves and such, I felt the author crafted and created this world, rather than your average realistic fiction book which strives to take a snap shot of the real world. Ultimately, I liked this unique mix of fantasy and reality.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Boy Meets Boy.

December 1, 2008 – Shelved