Melody's Reviews > The Spy Princess

Aug 13, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: nobility, summer13, swoon
Read in June, 2013

It's hard to write a review for this book. There were some things I fell in love with--Peitar, the world-building, and the story of Darian. Yet by the middle of the book, I had to force myself to finish and keep reading, and the last third of the book grew more and more confusing in plot. Lilah's goals change frequently; (minor) (view spoiler) But despite my confusion and boredom, I still enjoyed it. Peitar was a wonderful character, though Lilah and her friends are a bit two-dimensional {take that opinion with a grain of salt, though; it's been a while since I've read middle-grade fiction}. Darian was the best piece of work, and I wish Smith had delved deeper into his character. The interplay between him and Peitar, though philosophic and long-winded, was intriguing, because they are truly two sides of the same coin. I would have much liked to explore their relationship more.

I was already a huge fan of Smith's Crown Duel {or Crown Duel and Court Duel, as it used to be known}, and I continue to name her on my list of favorites. The Spy Princess was not what I wanted it to be, but I am glad I read it, and it bears glimpses of what I love most in Smith's writing. If there are more adventures featuring Lilah, I'll definitely be picking them up.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Spy Princess.

06/16/2013 marked as: read