Michelle's Reviews > The Morning Gift

The Morning Gift by Eva Ibbotson

it was ok
bookshelves: 2008, ya, historical

I am actually quite disappointed in this book. I read "A Song for Summer" and loved it and was excited to get my hands on another of Ibbotson's books.

My main complaint was that I felt like I had read the story before -- a sweeter, more compelling version with characters I found more honest and likable. I actually loved some of the secondary characters but not Ruth and Quin so much. I mean Ruth had this amazing life growing up around these amazingly smart people and living by the sea in Austria and then she is impressed with one standoffish British guy with a little bit of money (and a large estate of course). And to top it all off, I never could understand why the characters all loved Ruth so much. Okay, so she has long flowing blond hair. Anything else? She basically seemed like a piece of wood to me.

But Ibbotson’s writing is beautiful and the descriptions of the scenery were prefect. I finished the book mostly for that reason alone. So maybe if this was the first of Ibbotson’s books I had read I might have liked it more, but it wasn’t so I didn’t.

And I found typos. I NEVER find typos cause I read too fast. So that was another downer.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Morning Gift.

Started Reading
November 29, 2008 – Finished Reading
December 1, 2008 – Shelved
December 1, 2008 – Shelved as: 2008
December 1, 2008 – Shelved as: ya
February 10, 2011 – Shelved as: historical

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)

message 1: by Holly (new)

Holly Have you read A Countess Below Stairs? That's the only Ibbotson book I've read, and I liked it. Maybe I'll try A Song for Summer.

message 2: by Angie (new)

Angie I agree completely. This one fell flat for me. I was mad at Ruth and Quin most of the time. But the good thing is both A Company of Swans and A Countess Below Stairs are very wonderful.

Michelle Good. I'll definitely try A Company of Swans and A Countess Below Stairs next. I was worried they wouldn't be too good either.

Maia B. I thought "A Song for Summer" was meh. I couldn't get into it.

message 5: by Katherine (new)

Katherine "Living by the sea in Austria" You do know that Austria is a landlocked country?

message 6: by Nathalia (new) - added it

Nathalia I was wondering about the same thing as Katherine. If that is whats written in the book, I give up on Ibbotson before I started.