Doug B.'s Reviews > The Darkness That Comes Before

The Darkness That Comes Before by R. Scott Bakker

Dec 01, 2008

This book is geared towards fans of darker, grittier fantasy such as Martin or Erikson. After a bit of a slow start, I found myself becoming captivated by this world and am interested enough to follow the story into the subsequent books. One thing I liked about the series is the addition of religious intrigue to the political and mystical maneuverings. The main story is fairly clearly modeled on the Crusades while not following history too closely. I did have a few complaints. The prologue I think could lose a few people; I don't know that it really captures the essence of what follows. However, it is fairly short and does introduce a character who is important later in the book. Another disappointment is the lack of strong female characters, of the two that figure in the book, one is a harlot and one is a former concubine that is now a trophy of battle. While the overall low placement of women makes sense in the world presented, it's fantasy after all, no reason that we need to stay in our world's historical gender inequities. The scenes with magic are few and generally effective, with moments of true horror conveyed, but the system is not explained. This is not necessary, but is a nice bonus. At any rate, I did like the book and would recommend it.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Darkness That Comes Before.

December 1, 2008 – Shelved