Ramblings of a Book Junkie's Reviews > All Things Different

All Things Different by Shawn Underhill

Aug 12, 2012

bookshelves: from-author-or-publisher, arc
Read in August, 2012

At first glance All Things Different seemed like a light summer read. In reality, this book tells the tale of two teens who face situations that have them growing up too soon. Twists and turns in this book left me open mouthed and extremely surprised. I didn't expect to be near tears as this story unraveled. Underhill has given us a story that is unforgettable.

Though the book tells the tale of two teens it mainly faces on three characters, Sara, Jake, and his father. Each character is unique and different from the normal characters you read. Jake is a teen who can't wait to escape and be on his own, he's not caught up in high school and popularity, he'd much rather be out on his boat instead of thinking of the dreaded place he calls school. Sara is the center of attention-even if she doesn't enjoy it. She lights up any room from her bright personality and is very talented. She keeps her head held high even through the things she goes through. Jake's father is the rock of this unique 'family'. He keeps everyone together and motivated. He's made a huge positive impact on both Sara's and Jake's life.

One thing I enjoyed about this book was the fact it was in Jake's POV. In the beginning of the book Jake wasn't too out there with his opinions so it was nice to see what he thought. Sara's POV didn't seem to be needed considering she was bold with her thoughts :). Another thing was the fact that Jake and Sara seemed to be complete opposites but were perfect for each other. While Jake was more laid back, Sara was bubbly but they both were there for each other when needed.

At times the dialogue was hard to follow and I did wish we could see more of the actual relationship of Jake and Sara but overall it was a good read.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read All Things Different.