Jacquelyn's Reviews > If I Were You

If I Were You by Lynn Austin

liked it

** spoiler alert ** Full disclaimer that I was invested in the story and characters by the time I learned the author generally writes Christian fiction and this would have a religious bent. Not for me. But since I was into the story and there had been passing mentions of god and praying, I decided to keep going. Overall, I thought it was vividly written, and the story was unique and compelling.

Then the last quarter got pretty heavy-handed with the religious aspect. That was fine. Whatever. I think the ideal Christian audience for this would love it. But I really have an issue with the obnoxious patriarchal concept of Eve not wanting to burden Lewis with the news of their child because she doesn't want to ruin his life. She feels so guilty and sinful that she thinks she has to bear these hardships alone — or with the everyone BUT Lewis. Never mind that he contributed to the child's creation as much as she did, while married AND she believes he would be "so proud" to know he has a son. I was just so mad about that aspect of the ending. Aside from that, I can deal with the Christian concepts for what I thought was otherwise a great story with strong characters and writing.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read If I Were You.

March 22, 2021 – Started Reading