Sherre Copeland's Reviews > Magic Bites

Magic Bites by Ilona Andrews

Aug 12, 2012

bookshelves: 2015-audiobook-challenge
Read 6 times. Last read July 5, 2016 to July 6, 2016.

I'll admit, when Lan (The Write Obsession) recommended this book as one of her favorites and I decided to check it out, I wasn't convinced. It just doesn't have all the stuff I like in most books. I like a bit of love (but definitely not insta-love) and I really don't like monster books which is what I thought this was. When I picked the book up from the library, there was not 1 copy without excessive creases and folds, which told me it was a much read book. That helped ease my issues. But then, when I got a comment from Lani Wendt Young putting the success of our friendship on my acceptance or rejection of this book, I was thoroughly frightened. Now all I have to say is, I am SO GLAD I decided to actually read this book. It was freaking amazing!!!

I LOVED it!!!! Magic Bites follows Kate Daniels, a snarky smart mouthed heroine who makes money cleaning up magical mishaps. She is pretty much a "lone wolf" preferring to do her own thing. In the beginning, we find out that her guardian has been killed and we spend the book seeking the murderer.

At times, I was a bit lost. There were people introduced, and the second time I saw them I couldn't remember their significance, and there were so many supernaturals that I sometimes couldn't keep up. That's definitely my fault though and not the book's. My brain was still on YA pace because of the read-a-thon (I finished one book and went right to picking up another book without a stop in between.) and I couldn't catch up initially. Once I did though, it was smooth sailing. I have no idea how to appropriately review this book so I wont do too much. I loved Kate because she didn't take crap from anyone and always did what she thought was best (even if it got her into trouble.) Kate seemed to internalize her issues, but that made her who she was.

It sucked that she messed things up with one of the guys in the book, but I think it was for the best. He really would never have been able to keep up with her lifestyle. As for Curran......I see something forming...and I love it. I love him already. I feel about him the way I do about Eric from True Blood. He's so bad sometimes, but he's in charge so he has to be, and he's so sweet at the same time. I love him!

I will DEFINITELY be continuing this series!!! 5 Stars.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Magic Bites.

Quotes Sherre Liked

Ilona Andrews
“It's a reflex. Hear a bell, get food. See an undead, throw a knife. Same thing, really.”
Ilona Andrews, Magic Bites