Sheyla ✎'s Reviews > We Begin at the End

We Begin at the End by Chris Whitaker

liked it
bookshelves: 2021, audible, audiobook, disappointing, small-town

If you want to be depressed about the world by all means grab this book.

I’ll be an OUTLAW, sorry meant an OUTLIER and say it: The story fell short for me. I do believe the author had great characters especially Duchess and Walk but something was missing for me to rate it higher.

What did I like about We Begin at the End?

-I liked how much Duchess loved her brother, Robin. She was willing to do anything for him.

-Walk being there for his best friend Vincent, Star, Star's kids, and his town despite what was happening in his personal life.

-Hal's patience with Duchess.

-Dolly being there when she was needed.

-Martha bringing spice to Walk's life.

What did I learn from We Begin at the End?

If you have been born into a bad life, you will live a bad life and you will probably die because of your bad life too.

In my opinion, this novel didn't have much hope, redemption or forgiveness.

The ending frustrated me. I don't need to read rose-colored glass stories but if a story is having an against all the odds type of feeling, then I want more from it.

Take my opinion for what it is, my opinion . I know so many of my book friends truly loved it and I'm glad they did.

Lastly, I switched back and forth from the ebook to the audio. The audio narrator did a good representation of the characters and kept the flow of the story.

Cliffhanger: No

3/5 Fangs

MrsLeif's Two Fangs About It | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read We Begin at the End.

March 21, 2021 – Shelved
March 30, 2021 – Shelved as: audiobook
March 30, 2021 – Shelved as: audible
March 30, 2021 – Shelved as: disappointing
March 30, 2021 – Shelved as: small-town

Comments Showing 1-28 of 28 (28 new)

message 1: by Jayme (new)

Jayme Despite the many RAVE reviews, I have no interest in this book!>🤷🏻‍♀️ So, I am glad to see your 3! 😂

message 2: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie It's depressing enough right now! Only happy books for me.

message 3: by Tina (new) - added it

Tina This is what I'm afraid of if I read this one...that I too will be an outlier...I'm still on the fence about this one. Thanks for the good and honest review!

message 4: by Michael (new)

Michael David Great review, Sheyla! Sorry it wasn't more enjoyable.

Michelle I loved this but it definitely was depressing. I cried like a baby. Fair and honest review, Sheyla! 💛

message 6: by Holly (new)

Holly  B I hate depressive reads, thanks for your review Sheyla!!

Brenda ~Traveling Sisters Book Reviews Fantastic review, Sheyla!! I am an OUTLIER with you!! I disliked (and many other things)it didn't have hope, redemption or forgiveness.

preoccupiedbybooks Great review Sheyla, sorry you didn't love it, I don't think I would either!

Lindsay - Traveling Sisters Book Reviews Sheyla - you’re not alone!! I felt similarly to you. Just working on my review now. This was underwhelming for me. Great review!

Sheyla ✎ Jayme wrote: "Despite the many RAVE reviews, I have no interest in this book!>🤷🏻‍♀️ So, I am glad to see your 3! 😂"

It was just a downer for me. I say skip it, Jayme.

Sheyla ✎ Stephanie wrote: "It's depressing enough right now! Only happy books for me."

Yes, or at least some hope.

Sheyla ✎ Tina wrote: "This is what I'm afraid of if I read this one...that I too will be an outlier...I'm still on the fence about this one. Thanks for the good and honest review!"

Thank you, Tina. I didn't read reviews, but if I had, knowing it was so sad, I would've skipped it.

Sheyla ✎ Michael wrote: "Great review, Sheyla! Sorry it wasn't more enjoyable."

Thank you, Michael.

Sheyla ✎ Michelle wrote: "I loved this but it definitely was depressing. I cried like a baby. Fair and honest review, Sheyla! 💛"

I'm glad you enjoyed it, Michelle, despite the tears.

Sheyla ✎ Holly wrote: "I hate depressive reads, thanks for your review Sheyla!!"

Thank you, Holly.

Sheyla ✎ Brenda ~Traveling Sisters Book Reviews wrote: "Fantastic review, Sheyla!! I am an OUTLIER with you!! I disliked (and many other things)it didn't have hope, redemption or forgiveness."

Glad I'm not alone in feeling this way about it.

Sheyla ✎ preoccupiedbybooks wrote: "Great review Sheyla, sorry you didn't love it, I don't think I would either!"

Thank you, Fran.

Sheyla ✎ Lindsay - Traveling Sisters Book Reviews wrote: "Sheyla - you’re not alone!! I felt similarly to you. Just working on my review now. This was underwhelming for me. Great review!"

We can be OUTLAWS together ;)

Regina Fair enough! Though I enjoyed this a tad more than you, I can understand your points entirely. I hope you love your next read. :)

Sheyla ✎ Regina wrote: "Fair enough! Though I enjoyed this a tad more than you, I can understand your points entirely. I hope you love your next read. :)"

Thank you, Regina.

message 21: by Kat (new)

Kat I don't need any downers, so I'll be passing on this! A fair and honest review.

Sheyla ✎ Kat (is moving ... I'll be back soon!) wrote: "I don't need any downers, so I'll be passing on this! A fair and honest review."

Thank you, Kat. It made me sad.

Dorie  - Cats&Books :) Honest review Sheyla, sorry this one didn't work for you, I loved it :)

Sheyla ✎ Dorie - Cats&Books :) wrote: "Honest review Sheyla, sorry this one didn't work for you, I loved it :)"

I'm glad you did, Dorie. I know. So many of you loved it. I wish I had too.

message 25: by Susan Z (new) - added it

Susan Z I am not quite halfway done, and let's say I'm not loving it. I would actually DNF except our book community loved it. Ugh

Sheyla ✎ Susan Z wrote: "I am not quite halfway done, and let's say I'm not loving it. I would actually DNF except our book community loved it. Ugh"

I know what you mean, Susan.

message 27: by Christina (new)

Christina Nice review, Sheyla. I think I’ll pass on this one.

Sheyla ✎ Christina wrote: "Nice review, Sheyla. I think I’ll pass on this one."

I'm inclined to tell you yes. Yet, tons of people loved it.