Tamsin's Reviews > Royal Assassin

Royal Assassin by Robin Hobb

Aug 12, 2012

bookshelves: 2012, fantasy, fiction, high-fantasy

Another epic feat of rich, descriptive storytelling continuing the story of Fitzchivalry Farseer and the politics of court. One of my favourite characters, the Fool, has more of a centre stage here as we learn a bit more of his background, and realise that there might be more subtle magic in this land than we first thought. The story did meander slightly in the middle, but soon picked up and I am looking forward to Assassin's Quest, the last in this particular trilogy.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Royal Assassin.

Quotes Tamsin Liked

Robin Hobb
“He shook his head pityingly. “This, more than anything else, is what I have never understood about your people. You can roll dice, and understand that the whole game may hinge on one turn of a die. You deal out cards, and say that all a man's fortune for the night may turn upon one hand. But a man's whole life, you sniff at, and say, what, this naught of a human, this fisherman, this carpenter, this thief, this cook, why, what can they do in the great wide world? And so you putter and sputter your lives away, like candles burning in a draft.”
“Not all men are destined for greatness,” I reminded him.
“Are you sure, Fitz? Are you sure? What good is a life lived as if it made no difference at all to the great life of the world? A sadder thing I cannot imagine. Why should not a mother say to herself, if I raise this child aright, if I love and care for her, she shall live a life that brings joy to those about her, and thus I have changed the world? Why should not the farmer that plants a seed say to his neighbor, this seed I plant today will feed someone, and that is how I change the world today?”
“This is philosophy, Fool. I have never had time to study such things.”
“No, Fitz, this is life. And no one has time not to think of such things. Each creature in the world should consider this thing, every moment of the heart's beating. Otherwise, what is the point of arising each day?”
Robin Hobb, Royal Assassin