Adam Stone's Reviews > His Last Bow

His Last Bow by Arthur Conan Doyle

Aug 12, 2012

bookshelves: short-story-collections, crime
Read from August 12 to 16, 2012

His Last Bow contains 8 stories of the great detective. The best of the stories in my opinion is the title story His Last Bow which is the final story in the collection. It is rather unusual for a Sherlock Holmes story in that it is written in the third person. What I liked about it was that it was quite different from most of the other Holmes stories and is the the most modern of all the Holmes stories that I have read so far.

The Adventure of Wisteria Lodge was the first story of the collection and was a slightly longer story written in two parts. I must admit that this story failed to hold my interest for long and isn’t one of my favourites.

The Adventure of the Cardboard Box was an earlier story which hadn’t been collected until this collection and was quite a nice little story about a family squabble that ended in tragedy.

The Adventure of the Red Circle turned out to be quite an interesting story that turned out to be a lot more than met the eye at the start of the story.

The Adventure of the Bruce-Partington Plans did remind me a lot of the earlier stories The Naval Treaty and The Second Stain and whilst is was quite a good little story it did seem like I had read it all before.

The other three stories The Adventure of the Dying Detective, The Disappearance of Lady Frances Carfax and The Adventure of the Devil’s Foot were ok stories but none of them really stood out as anything out of the ordinary or special.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read His Last Bow.

08/12/2012 page 41