Ayesha's Reviews > The Fault in Our Stars

The Fault in Our Stars by John Green

F 50x66
Update (25/06/2014)-
Since I've been receiving a lot of cyber bullies and hate messages, I’m going to clarify few things.

-Firstly, this is a negative review of the book and it has got a lot of potential to infuriate the fans. If you think that your opinion is the only opinion that exists on earth and that no one should dislike your favourite book, then I would suggest you to avoid this review.

-Secondly, This is my review and I have the freedom to analyse and criticise this book as I wish to without being told by others how I’m supposed to criticise it. I have the freedom to have my own thoughts and to express them in whatever way I want to and I don’t appreciate fans shoving their opinions down my throats, I’m not here to cater the needs of TFIOS fandom.

-Thirdly, stop harassing me. Why can't you get it through your thick skulls that everyone has different opinions, they’re going to interpret books differently from you and stop being selfish to think that just because you loved a book that means the whole world should love it. This world is full of people with differing opinions, differing thoughts and differing likes and differing dislikes, learn to respect them even if you don’t agree with what they have to say about your favourite books. Just because you love a particular book that I hate doesn't make you a good person and me a bad person, It simply shows that people like different things.

Every reader has the freedom to dissect and critically analyse any book and write their thoughts on it in their own review space without the fear of anyone (or fans bossing them into writing what the fandom wants). Critically analysing books and criticising problematic aspects of any reading material prevents people from being passive readers.

Shakespeare and J.K Rowling too have their own share of critics then what makes Green’s book flawless that it’s not allowed to be criticised? Honestly, this book is nowhere as good as the works of those two geniuses. Stop thinking that criticising this book is sacrilegious.

-Fourthly, stop cyber bullying and trolling me. Your hate messages and death threats will show much more of your personality than your love for this book. Remember, every time you comment any bullshit here, you’re giving your own fandom a bad name and my review more popularity. Also, your hate messages aren't going to put me down. I’m a strong girl and I’m always going to stand up for what I believe in come hell or high water. I don't fear anyone and no one can ever force me to follow their orders like a puppet especially not a fandom where most of the fans are immature cyber bullies who can’t respect other’s opinions. Also, I've caught fans making fake accounts to troll my review, this shows me that they are big cowards who hide their faces and send me spiteful comments.

-Lastly, I’m NOT shaming anyone for loving this book. You can love whatever you want to and believe in whomever you want to. I have no problem with people who genuinely love this book; I have problems with those who think readers should not have the rights to express their dislike for any book, I have problems with those who approve of and participate in cyber bullying reviewers who write negative reviews on their favourite books, I have problems with those who refuse to acknowledge the fact that their favourite books can have flaws and not everyone’s going to love them, I have problems with those who come here to shove their opinions down my throat. Do you find anyone who hated this book shoving their opinions in comments of positive reviews? Then what makes you think that you have the rights to troll negative reviews?

Alright, now let's begin with the review.

**WARNING- MAJOR SPOILERS AHEAD**
Disclaimer- I'll repeat once more, if you cannot handle differing opinions or reviewers criticising your favourite book, please leave immediately.

EXPECTATION-

REALITY-

I’ve re-written this review because my previous one contained my angry rant and most of my points were incoherent.

So I happily bought the hardcover of The Fault in our stars back in December 2012 after seeing the high average GR ratings and raving reviews saying how beautiful, life-changing, thought-provoking and blah blah it is. Surprisingly, this book was so special that it became the first book that I slammed on the wall twice after reading it. It didn’t only disappoint me but also angered me. I'm surprised to find that harsh critics are swallowing up this trash and calling it a masterpiece. Ugh!

I’m going to make a list of everything I hate about this book that earned it the topmost place on my list of Worst books ever.

The characters- Hazel and Augustus are the flattest cardboard cut-outs I have ever seen in any book. Both of them were like 60-years-old stuck in some teenager's bodies making them very boring and unlikeable. Hazel was such an annoying, stupid and pretentious Mary Sue that I wanted to punch her right in the face. One great example of her stupidity-

”Why are breakfast foods breakfast foods...Like, why don’t we have curry for breakfast?”

"A nonhot boy stares at you relentlessly and it is, at best, awkward and, at worst, a form of assault.
But a hot boy . . . well."

Augustus and Hazel have the same boring, pretentious, know-it-all and indistinguishable personality. Hazel is the female version of Augustus (no, I’m not going to call him affectionately with Gus) and he is the male version of Hazel. These two characters meld together and have no depth at all. I couldn’t connect with them, I felt no pain and sympathy for them and they annoyed me so much that I wanted to stab them.

Romance- It fell from the sky. Seriously, I don’t get what’s so “beautiful” about the relationship between them. They both fall in love within seconds just after laying eyes on each other ~love at first sight~ . The romance is undeveloped and it comes from nowhere. I was baffled when Hazel accepted to go to Augustus's house just minutes after meeting him. WHAT THE HELL? How stupid can you be? You fall for a guy's words whom you met just few minutes ago and agree to go to his house! What if he were a murderer or rapist?

Not to mention that the kissing scene in Anne Frank's house was so effing disgusting. Anne Frank's house is considered to be a place of remembrance, a place where 2 families hid during the dark days of Holocaust. If anyone makes out at such a revered site, they would be kicked out regardless of who or what they are. People present around will be disgusted, they won't stand and watch much less clap for the "lovely" couple.

Writing- Cheesy. Emotionless. Ambiguous. Brain-cell burning. Want to hear some favourite quotes of mine? Here they are-

“My thoughts are stars I cannot fathom into constellations.”...Why compare your thoughts to stars and constellations? *sighs*

"Some infinities are bigger than other infinities."

"That's the thing about pain. It demands to be felt."...Yeah, that’s the thing about chocolate, it demands to be eaten.

“I believe the universe wants to be noticed. I think the universe is improbably biased toward the consciousness, that it rewards intelligence in part because the universe enjoys its elegance being observed. And who am I, living in the middle of history, to tell the universe that it-or my observation of it-is temporary?”... Umm….What?!

”I'm in love with you, and I'm not in the business of denying myself the simple pleasure of saying true things. I'm in love with you, and I know that love is just a shout into the void, and that oblivion is inevitable, and that we're all doomed and that there will come a day when all our labor has been returned to dust, and I know the sun will swallow the only earth we'll ever have, and I am in love with you.”

(view spoiler)

“There will come a time when all of us are dead. All of us. There will come a time when there are no human beings remaining to remember that anyone ever existed or that our species ever did anything. There will be no one left to remember Aristotle or Cleopatra, let alone you. Everything that we did and built and wrote and thought and discovered will be forgotten and all of this will have been for naught. Maybe that time is coming soon and maybe it is millions of years away, but even if we survive the collapse of our sun, we will not survive forever. There was time before organisms experienced consciousness, and there will be time after. And if the inevitability of human oblivion worries you, I encourage you to ignore it. God knows that’s what everyone else does.”

Me-

There were senseless dialogues, brain-cell burning metaphors and words thrown around in the book from the dictionary. I’ll stop here because just thinking about them gives me an awful migraine.

And you know what? Teenagers living in the 21st century DON'T speak like that. No teen can spontaneously come up with long monologues within seconds. Also, genuinely sick teenagers don’t have the luxury to be so witty and clever every single time. One thing I don't buy is that teens with cancer suddenly become magically wise. They become terrified, confused, depressed and angry. They DON’T magically gain great insight in life and go around puking long monologues about the meaning of life. This book made me roll my eyes in disgust.

(UPDATE- In response to gazillion questions and arguments I've been getting on the paragraphs above, I have written a detailed explanation below)***

Plot- Predictable. Boring. Uninspiring. Put me to sleep. I had to plough through the whole book. Cancer is hard, it's painful but this book didn’t show me that. I couldn’t feel Hazel and Augustus’ struggle against it. I couldn’t feel their pain. TFioS is nothing but a cheesy romance novel.

Me throughout the book-

I knew that someone would die. Augustus's death wasn't powerful enough, if Green would've shown his death I would've understood why the world cried a whole bucket over him.

"He died eight days after his prefuneral"
WHAT THE HELL?? Green tried to make his death sound LIKE HE WENT TO A PARTY LAST WEEK!!!

Ok, so this book made you cry, right? If a book makes you cry it automatically doesn’t mean that it’s a masterpiece. I can understand that you must’ve felt sad and sympathetic for the characters and must’ve cried but considering that this novel is sad and it made you cry doesn’t make it an awesome, life-changing and beautiful story. I cried after reading Allegiant for days but I hated that book with burning passion, it was one of the worst books I ever read.

The undeserved hype and comparison with The Book Thief - I don't understand why people compare The Fault in our stars to The Book Thief by Markus Zusak. Zusak is a genius; he handles his themes -death, love, joy, pain, grief etc. - brilliantly in his book, he is an artist of words, painter of vivid imagination, his writing has enough power to break your heart and mend it on the same page. TFios pales in comparison to a gem like The Book Thief.

I would rather shed my tears for a sick kid who doesn’t know how to create a f**king metaphor than to shed my tear on any of Augustus and Hazel’s ridiculous monologues. I would rather shed my tears for the children dying in the civil war in Syria than cry buckets over the death of a pretentious, unlikeable and flat character.

Before you start calling me a cold-hearted bitch for hating and criticising this book, let me tell you that if you think you have every right to go around fangirling how wonderful this book was then I believe that I have every right to express my hatred for it whether you like it or not. I know that I’m the only teenager on this planet who hates this book but honestly, I don't care.

Would I recommend it? NO. I would rather recommend The Book Thief because it deserves the huge hype rather than this trash.

Shailene Woodley has been cast as Hazel for the movie.

She's simply perfect for Hazel's boring and unlikeable personality.

*** I never mentioned or implied that teenagers are illiterate or can't have a large vocabulary, don't accuse me of something I haven't said. I just find it hard to believe that any teen can come up with nonsensical monologues like the ones below or think it's appropriate to use them in their conversations-

"I’m awash in the metaphorical resonance of the empty playground in the hospital courtyard”
“That kid never took a piss without pondering the abundant metaphysical resonances of human waste production”.
(Like, wtf?!)

Especially when they are living in the 21st century because English language is completely different than what it was few centuries ago. Also, it's hard to believe that anyone would talk like that in a normal conversation every single time.
I am a teen and I go to high school, I know many other teens of my age who have developed a large vocabulary and have brilliant writing skills. That is simply because they love reading and have developed the habit of learning new words from the dictionary from a very young age. I know teens roughly my age with almost perfect speaking and writing skills in English. They write amazing poems and honestly, it takes them a lot of time to ponder over and make their metaphors or poems perfect. They obviously cannot open their mouth and spontaneously say
"My thoughts are stars I cannot fathom into constellations".

Btw, none of the teenage characters from this book show any interest in reading high literature and poetry (the only book Hazel claims to read is An Imperial Affliction) then what's the reason behind their ability to spew pretentious monologues? What reason do they have to have a large vocabulary? They aren't geniuses, they aren't teens who read avidly or analyse high literature and show interest in oratory or love for poetry. Therefore, it's not plausible for them to speak with profound words.

Moving on, the quotes and metaphors in this book are stupid and cliched. On deeper analysis you'll understand that the philosophy in this book is not real philosophy, it's simply marketing. Take for example this quote-
"Life is not a wish granting factory"

How many times have I heard this outside the book? For me the quote above is not a good one. Why? I've been told since I was 3 that life won't give you everything you want. A good quote, imo, tells you something new and it makes you ponder over a new thing, in the case of the quote above, it tells me nothing new, it shows me nothing new and doesn't make me think about anything new because I've already thought over the unfairness of life 1000 times before. That quote is just paraphrased and the whole book is littered with such paraphrased version of quotes that we already come across daily in our lives in simple version. People fall for such quotes because it's written with profound words that make them feel that TFIOS teaches a lot of new things. John Green is not a good author, he's simply a marketing genius. He has nothing new and interesting to tell and write.

Now going over the cigarette metaphor, Augustus buys a pack of cigarettes regularly just so he could put one in his mouth and not light it thus, giving us another stupid dialogue "It's a metaphor. You keep the killing thing between your teeth but don't give it the power to kill you". Funny that he won't kill himself by lighting up the cigarette but will regularly give money to an industry that is the largest cause of cancer thus, promoting the cigarette industry and indirectly killing others. (What a genius!) Not to mention that he mocks Hazel's cancer right on her face and guess her reaction? She's impressed and readily approves of and participants in his metaphor.

There's a lot of difference between being wise and being pretentious and Hazel and Augustus are the latter. I don't buy their dialogues because they are extremely ridiculous and cheesy and no argument by fans and authors can change my opinion because Green makes no effort in making the dialogues IN THE BOOK seem plausible. There's no reason for their large vocabulary and ability to spew long monologues IN THE BOOK and I'm analysing only the book nothing outside it, so why should I listen to an outside source? I've read Green's post on Augustus' character being pretentious and imo, he misses the point that his characters are not only pretentious; they are extremely unrealistic as well. Augustus' pretension is not "an intentional flaw", it's simply poor characterisation.

I'm not saying that kids with cancer cannot be intelligent. A lot of fans say that the characters in the book are special and wise because they have cancer and this book tries hard to show that too. I merely said that having cancer does not mean that you can automatically become wise and gain a lot of knowledge. Don't twist my words.

I couldn't sympathise with the characters and feel their pain. That doesn't mean that I'm cold hearted. It's not my fault that I couldn't get emotionally connected to the characters, it's the authors fault for not writing characters I could sympathise with. It's the author's fault for making shallow, judgemental and annoying characters. It's the his fault for making characters with personality that mocks cancer patients and who show disrespect to millions of people who died in the Holocaust. It's the author's fault for romanticising cancer and using it as a ploy to sell his book. I'm NOT hating people who have cancer, I'm NOT hating the characters because they have cancer. I'm hating them for who they are. I'm hating the book because it's poorly written.

I don't need to have cancer to analyse this book. Having cancer does not mean that you get the rights to say whatever you want to about this book. Every reader whether sick or not has equal rights to analyse and voice their opinions freely on any book. And before you say "omg you don't have cancer and you're not dying so you'll obviously not understand this book!!!111!!!1!!" let me tell you that you know nothing about me. You don't know what I'm going through, you don't know my lifeline, then what gives you the right to judge what my life is like?

I'll leave you with another quote-
"I got bored of this book the way you fall asleep: slowly and then all at once."
/end rant

January 6, 2014 – Shelved as: awfully-boring-plot
January 6, 2014 – Shelved as: i-m-gonna-let-you-burn-burn-burn
January 6, 2014 – Shelved as: needs-a-freaking-editor
March 10, 2014 – Shelved as: stinking-cowshit

Comments Showing 1-50 of 906 (906 new)

message 1: by NiaKantorka (new)

NiaKantorka I appreciate an honest review and I'm sorry this book didn't work for you. I loved the book and felt none of your concerns. But if everybody loved the same books the world would be a very boring place.
Just one suggestion. Your rev contains major spoilers - maybe you should warn people who haven't read it so far.

Ayesha Nia (Kantorka) wrote: "I appreciate an honest review and I'm sorry this book didn't work for you. I loved the book and felt none of your concerns. But if everybody loved the same books the world would be a very boring pl..."

Hey Nia, Thanks for accepting! I'm happy to see that you loved it, believe me I really wanted to love this one too. Thanks for the suggestion, I forgot to add the spoiler warning when I updated it the last time.

Laurie THANK YOU!! SOMEONE UNDERSTANDS! I honestly did not get why SOOOOO many people "loved" this book. I'm not saying you shouldn't like this book, I'm just saying I didn't like this book. It was okay for me, I was expecting to cry cause I'm a sappy person but I didn't...I was kinda disappointed...

Ayesha Laurie wrote: "THANK YOU!! SOMEONE UNDERSTANDS! I honestly did not get why SOOOOO many people "loved" this book. I'm not saying you shouldn't like this book, I'm just saying I didn't like this book. It was okay f..."

You're welcome :) This was my #1 disappointing book I've ever read. Honestly, after reading this book I swore never to fall for GR hype ever again.

Asunpravhotmail.co.uk I loved your comment. TFIOS is definitely the worst book I have ever read! And I read it the first week of its release. Not that I am a John Green fan but I did enjoy Paper Town a lot so I thought of giving this one a shot. But this one turned out to be the most pretentious, manipulative, cheesy, boring, sappy-as-hell Bore-fest!!!

Ayesha Asunpravhotmail.co.uk wrote: "I loved your comment. TFIOS is definitely the worst book I have ever read! And I read it the first week of its release. Not that I am a John Green fan but I did enjoy Paper Town a lot so I thought ..."

Thanks. I'm happy to see that there are readers who agree with me. I really don't get what's so great in this book.

"sappy-as-hell Bore-fest"
LOL! I like that.

kirstin ✿ Just read this, Ayesha! I really love your rants! XD I would like it but I'm on my phone ^^ Later, lol.

Ayesha ▪▮CᴜʀsᴇᴛᴇᴇN▮▪ wrote: "Just read this, Ayesha! I really love your rants! XD I would like it but I'm on my phone ^^ Later, lol."

Thanks ;) Forgive my messed-up writing, I was very angry while I wrote this review. It's strange how books can make me happy, sad and angry in a way people can't :P

kirstin ✿ "It's strange how books can make me happy, sad and angry in a way people can't :P"

So true! I haven't read a lot of books, but I know the feel. XD

Laurie That's SOOO true for me

Ayesha Oh my gosh! I completed The Book Thief yesterday and....I.am.broken.....Now that book was amazing. I would recommend that book to everyone without any hesitation.

Laurie I need to read it. Haven't though...Is it sad?

kirstin ✿ I'll check it out, Ayesha! ^^

message 14: by Ayesha (last edited Oct 23, 2013 08:30AM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Ayesha The Book Thief is A-M-A-Z-I-N-G! It made me laugh and cry. It's not sad...it's more than that. I'm at a loss for words to describe that book so I would quote a review I loved on the Book thief-

"If you love to read and if you love to care about the characters you read about and if you love to eat words like they're ice cream and if you love to have your heart broken and mended on the same page, this book is for you.

Ayesha Many readers compare that book to TFioS on the terms of "books that made you cry the most" but in my opinion, the latter is very bland in front of the former.

The book thief teaches you so much, it touches your heart and makes you fall in love with the characters and the words in the book...in comparison, TFioS is absolutely craptastic.

I'm surprised that Book thief has an average rating of 4.36 stars on GR whereas TFioS has 4.50!
That's why I never trust GR average ratings.

Barbara (VampAngel) I loved TFiOS, but I respect your opinion and review. I also LOVED The Book Thief. The Book Thief is clearly a better book, but I did love them both. TBT is deeper and has more literary merit though, that I completely agree.

Ayesha @ Barbara

Thanks. I'm glad you enjoyed both the books :)

message 18: by Ju (new) - rated it 1 star

Ju Ae SOO TRUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
Everyone praises this book, including my English teacher... F.......(I am not criticizing the writing style but crappy plot.)
I really wanted to punch Hazel few times.
This review just made my day! Thanks!!!!!!

Laurie So did I. My friends told me this book was "AMAZING!" And "Will really break your heart!" So I was SO pumped up to read this book. And then...well...I read this book....And guess what....I didn't cry...didn't even tear up...

Laurie Guess what! IM READING THE BOOK THIEF RIGHT NOW!!!

Ayesha Ju wrote: "SOO TRUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
I really wanted to punch Hazel few times.
This review made my day! Thanks!!!!!!"

Everyone reader I know offline is obsessed with this book. Thanks and welcome :D

@Laurie
This book was a certainly a worthless read. Hope you enjoy The book thief!

Laurie I think I will!! Just started it though.

Ayesha It may be boring in the beginning for some people but I fell in love with that book from the prologue itself.

Laurie Okay!

message 25: by [deleted user] (new)

Molly I'm sorry to hear you didn't enjoy it! The only thing I have to comment on is this- Hazel may seem a bit selfish when she isn't always grateful for her parents and such, but the thing is, she's a teenager. No teenager in the world is always happy and grateful. She's sixteen and in love, and all teenagers I know when they're in love, don't always act the way they should.

Besides that, I respectively agree to disagree on this. Have you tried any of Green's other books? Abundance of Katherines is one of my favorites. It's much more lighthearted than this book, per say.

Nagina  Hamkar people kept telling me good this book is and I should read it finally i did.When I finished it i hade a long period of silence thinking what just happend.It wasnt like a woah! book for at all.It was kinds boring.It was ok for me .(i guess) p.s hated the book theif!!

Reyhaneh _book_crazy_ wrote: "people kept telling me good this book is and I should read it finally i did.When I finished it i hade a long period of silence thinking what just happend.It wasnt like a woah! book for at all.It wa..."

I didn't like the book thief ethier but I loved the fault in our stars but I understand. I had a lot of friends that thought of it as okay.

Caitlin How on earth can people complain about spoilers in this review?
I'm sorry, but any book featuring a beloved pet or terminally ill teenager is going to end in "and so they died."
It's a fact of life.
(Unless someone writes "Lucky, the freaking immortal Labrador." Or possibly Picoult's "My Sister's Keeper" where the "wrong" sister died.)

Elliott Cooper Personally, this isn't my favourite book; it didn't make me cry. It didn't live up to the hype. And no, it wasn't what I was expecting. But I think Green has a brilliant mind and works beautifully to create two very different characters here which are both drawn into an advanced and interesting plot. The twist actually surprised me and I felt everything within the novel, although at times seeming rehearsed, was actually very credible.
I do however agree that this book is hyped up. Especially in comparison to his other novels. I actually prefer Looking For Alaska. Which is a lot less commercialised, both literally and metaphorically, within the book.

Ayesha Brooke wrote: "The lesson in here is: Don't believe the hype. I didn't like the book that much, either. And I certainly didn't cry over it!"

Yeah, hype is misleading.

Molly wrote: "Hazel may seem a bit selfish when she isn't always grateful for her parents and such, but the thing is, she's a teenager. No teenager in the world is always happy and grateful. She's sixteen and in love, and all teenagers I know when they're in love, don't always act the way they should."

I have read many books in which teens are in love but don't go around acting like ungrateful brats like Hazel. Lina from Between Shades of Gray lives during one of the horrifying times of history, she is a teen who falls in love while she is deported to Siberia under ghastly conditions, she had given up her own freedom for her cousin yet she's never selfish and ungrateful. Another good example would be Liela from A Thousand Splendid Suns, she lives with her parents in Kabul during wartime, her mother is emotionally and mentally broken, her father is sacked, there is no guarantee that she or her parents will live the next day, she's in love yet she's not ungrateful and whiny. And there are more...

Besides, I'm not interested in reading anything written by Green, not after reading the following article-

Ayesha Caitlin wrote: "Let's be honest, I knew what I was getting into when I picked up an American YA novel about terminally ill teenagers "everyone" was raving about - teenage angst, teenage romance, flowery epithets, lying together on a car bonnet looking up at the sky at least once, indie music at a funeral... "

See, when I picked this book, I was expecting some developed and likeable characters not cardboard cut-outs, I was expecting there to be a developed relationship not something that just fell from the sky, I was expecting some memorable and beautiful dialogues not ridiculous, eye-rolls and cringe-worthy metaphors and I was expecting some memorable moments not some boring and dragging plot.

Colette Crowder I agree with some of your points and strongly disagree with others, but seriously this review made me laugh so hard I went into a coughing fit.

Amanda Page I thought I was the only one!
The book did make me sad, though, and I almost cried. But I don't understand what the bid deal was.
I agree with everything....

Ayesha Colette wrote: "I agree with some of your points and strongly disagree with others, but seriously this review made me laugh so hard I went into a coughing fit."

Thanks. :D

Ayesha Amanda wrote: "I thought I was the only one!
I agree with everything...."

Glad I'm not the only one.

message 37: by Aly (new) - rated it 1 star

Aly Locatelli I absolutely love you and this review. You literally wrote everything that was going through my head whilst reading the book. My review, I have to admit, is nowhere near as coherent as yours, just because I am so unbelievably angry with John Green for writing this book and portraying the characters as he did.

So I'm glad that there seems to be a small group of us that actually disliked the book, rather than fangirling over the 'beautiful love story'.

Ayesha Aly wrote: "I absolutely love you and this review. You literally wrote everything that was going through my head whilst reading the book. My review, I have to admit, is nowhere near as coherent as yours, just ..."

Thanks!

Aly wrote: "I'm sorry, WHAT BEAUTIFUL LOVE STORY? I do not see a romance, but a high school crush gone too far. That's all."

I agree!

Aly wrote: "And to be honest, Augustus' nickname kind of reminded me of the fat mouse from Cinderella, so that's all I could think of whenever someone called him 'Gus'.
"

LOL! Forget about writing a true cancer book, Green can't even give a proper nickname to his character. 'Gus' rhymes well with pus.

Ayesha Life is too short to read bad books and TFIOS is one of them.

Jacquelyn Sorry it didn't work... I loved it! Every second of it!

Katherine I can totally see what you are talking about, but i still like the book. I do agree that The Book Thief is so much better. Have you seen the movie?

Dominique I totally understand your valid points/opinion and concur with them. Yet the only thing that annoyed me was your comment on how cancer people can't be "magically wise" and lack in insight and meaning of life. But excuse me, have you ever met or encountered a cancer patient or people, for that matter? Yes some cancer patient don't gain insight in life which is pity for them. Again,there are some who do just like everyday people. It varies for everyone. Just because they have cancer doesn't limit their ability of philosophical thoughts. Jeez.

Jo-Vivian I think the problem about this book is that so many people have over rated it, and since so many people have read it, it's already boring and predictable. But thank you for your opinion!

Donna TFIOS is definitely the worst book I have ever read!

Ayesha Dominique wrote: "I totally understand your valid points/opinion and concur with them. Yet the only thing that annoyed me was your comment on how cancer people can't be "magically wise" and lack in insight and meani..."

Firstly, if anything annoyed you in my review then why did you read it in the first place? Haven't I mentioned it clearly at the beginning to stay away from this because it can infuriate you?

I haven't met any cancer patient but I've seen lots of sick children. Sometimes they do have extraordinary talents which are genuine. Hazel and Augustus speak like wise old men which sounds so fake and utterly ridiculous. A genuinely sick kid doesn't have the luxury to be so wise. They get depressed and sad, they worry if they'll live the next minute or not, they don't go around being pretentious. They don't go around trying to impress people like Hazel and Augustus do.
You said that my comment annoyed you but do you know that this book has annoyed so many sick readers out there? Yes, I've read reviews and comments written by genuinely sick people saying how Tfios made them want to burn the book in disgust. They found the jokes cracked on death by the characters to be utterly sick not to mention that they have even put up similar point in question in their own review.

I hated this book and I've given my reasons clearly. Come hell or high water, I'm not going to change my opinions over it and I won't stop from expressing my dislike for it.

Ayesha Donna wrote: "TFIOS is definitely the worst book I have ever read!

You're young. Give it a few years; I'm sure you will find something that's worse."

I might be young but I can differentiate between a good and a bad book. TFioS is the worst book I've personally read.

message 47: by Ayesha (last edited Jan 08, 2014 06:13AM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Ayesha Katherine wrote: "I can totally see what you are talking about, but i still like the book. I do agree that The Book Thief is so much better. Have you seen the movie?"

No, I haven't seen it yet.

message 48: by Pat (new)

Pat I haven't read this. Now I'm not sure if I want to. But I think I will read this, or I should read this to see for myself how "ridiculous" or "magical" this book is.
This is way overhyped though. And I don't really read overhyped books because they tend to disappoint me most of the time.
And the fans!! Ugh!! I hate fandoms sometimes. They could be so annoying, insisting their love for the book. Like I get okay you LOVE the book, but I hate it so go away.

Nice review/rant by the way! Most of my goodreads friends and twitter friends don't like this book too.

Holly *Confessions of a Lit Chick* Everyone has read a book that is hyped, and would like to beat said novel around fans heads :D Mine's Fifty Shades (of shit )and *cough* Twishite *cough* (I hate them with a vengence, is it obvious?).

BUT, alas, I did like this book. Maybe even loved. Although, I have read a lot, a lot, a lot worse (even than Fifty Shades!) And I haven't been raving like a fan girl.

Thank you, for your honest opinion :D

message 50: by Donna (last edited Jan 08, 2014 06:28PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Donna Ayesha wrote: "Donna wrote: "TFIOS is definitely the worst book I have ever read!

I might be young but I can differentiate be..."

I didn't mean to indicate that you didn't know the difference between a good and bad book. You certainly are entitled to your opinion. I just meant given time you will likely (or maybe not) come across a book you dislike more. I am 66 and have come across numerous books that I hated. Sometimes going against the popular opinion as well. I hated Outlander (ducking quickly).

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 18 19