Sheyla ✎'s Reviews > She Has a Broken Thing Where Her Heart Should Be

She Has a Broken Thing Where Her Heart Should Be by J.D. Barker

bookshelves: 2021, audible, audiobook, fantasy, favorite-authors

David Pickford is a beautiful man. David Pickford is a beautiful man. David Pickford is a beautiful man. David Pickford is a beautiful man. David Pickford is a beautiful man. David Pickford is a beautiful man. David Pickford is a beautiful man.

Now I understand why all my friends love this book.

It was everything I wanted from a fantasy. For me, it was like Heroes and X-man had a kid while an 80's soundtrack was playing.

How cool is that?

At the center of the storyline we have a few main characters:

Jack Thatch (or Pip): an eight-year-old boy who meets a girl on a bench while visiting his parent's grave on August 8, 1984. You see, Jack's parents died in a car accident and he was the sole survivor. His aunt Jo is now his guardian.

Stella Nettleton: the girl on the bench. The girl with an extraordinary vocabulary for her age. A girl who uses gloves and reads her favorite book by Dickens, Great Expectations. She will arrive year after year in a white SUV surrounded by people dressed in white.

Subject D: a boy who wears a mask. A boy with power so grand that he has to be confined for years.

Detective Faustino Brier: The cop who knows every year someone will die on August 8th. A body "burned but not burned" will appear. on August 9th.

Detective Joy Fogel: who will join forces with Brier to discover the mystery of his Wall of Weird.

Duncan "Dunk" Bellino: a kid who becomes Jack's friend. As a teenager, he will make some not so legit choices.

"Preacher": a guy with a good sense in cars.

With this fabulous cast, how can you not enjoy it? I certainly did. My heart was beating fast. The action at the end was non-stop leading to a very fulfilling culmination.

I do wish this was not the end.

Cliffhanger: No

4/5 Fangs

MrsLeif's Two Fangs About It | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read She Has a Broken Thing Where Her Heart Should Be.

May 1, 2020 – Shelved (Hardcover Edition)
May 1, 2020 – Shelved as: to-read (Hardcover Edition)
March 18, 2021 – Started Reading
March 18, 2021 – Shelved
March 18, 2021 – Finished Reading
March 30, 2021 – Shelved as: 2021
March 30, 2021 – Shelved as: audible
March 30, 2021 – Shelved as: audiobook
March 30, 2021 – Shelved as: fantasy
March 30, 2021 – Shelved as: favorite-authors

Comments Showing 1-26 of 26 (26 new)

preoccupiedbybooks Oh I really want to read this one!

Sheyla ✎ preoccupiedbybooks wrote: "Oh I really want to read this one!"

You have to read it ...so good. The audio is fantastic

Jayme YES! I loved this one! ❤️ Terrific review!

message 4: by Tina (new)

Tina Wonderful review Sheyla!!

message 5: by Kerrin (new) - added it

Kerrin P I'm intrigued!

message 6: by Michael (new) - added it

Michael David Loved this one too! Fantastic review, Sheyla!

Michelle Fabulous review, Sheyla! 💜 I loved this one too.

Brenda ~Traveling Sisters Book Reviews Fantastic review, Sheyla!!

Sheyla ✎ Jayme wrote: "YES! I loved this one! ❤️ Terrific review!"

Thank you, Jayme.

Sheyla ✎ Tina wrote: "Wonderful review Sheyla!!"

Thank you, Tina.

Sheyla ✎ Kerrin wrote: "I'm intrigued!"

It's worth a try :)

Sheyla ✎ Michael wrote: "Loved this one too! Fantastic review, Sheyla!"

Thank you, Michael. Now we can only hope for a movie.

Sheyla ✎ Michelle wrote: "Fabulous review, Sheyla! 💜 I loved this one too."

Thank you, Michelle.

Sheyla ✎ Brenda ~Traveling Sisters Book Reviews wrote: "Fantastic review, Sheyla!!"

Thank you, Brenda.

message 15: by Regina (new) - added it

Regina I knew I wanted to read this, but now I'm thoroughly convinced! I'll mark this as a Must Read for my October Halloween season.

Sheyla ✎ Regina wrote: "I knew I wanted to read this, but now I'm thoroughly convinced! I'll mark this as a Must Read for my October Halloween season."

Thank you, Regina!

message 17: by Kat (new) - added it

Kat I keep hearing about this. Perhaps I should read it! Great review, Sheyla :)

message 18: by Edgarr Alien (new) - added it

Edgarr Alien Pooh Fantastic review Sheyla, definitely moving it up my list

Sheyla ✎ Kat (is moving ... I'll be back soon!) wrote: "I keep hearing about this. Perhaps I should read it! Great review, Sheyla :)"

If you like fantasy, I definitely recommend this one.

Sheyla ✎ Edgarr Alien wrote: "Fantastic review Sheyla, definitely moving it up my list"

Thank you, Edgar.

MarilynW Glad you enjoyed it, Sheyla...great review 💗

message 22: by Farrah (new)

Farrah Really great review Sheyla!! 😍 I took this off my list after I read Caller's Game but you're making me reconsider....

Sheyla ✎ MarilynW wrote: "Glad you enjoyed it, Sheyla...great review 💗"

Thank you, Marilyn!

Sheyla ✎ Farrah wrote: "Really great review Sheyla!! 😍 I took this off my list after I read Caller's Game but you're making me reconsider...."

I thought the audio was great!

message 25: by Holly (new)

Holly  B Excellent review Sheyla!!

Sheyla ✎ Holly wrote: "Excellent review Sheyla!!"

Thank you, Holly.