Angela's Reviews > Midnight City

Midnight City by J. Barton Mitchell

Aug 11, 2012

bookshelves: net-galley
Read in August, 2012

War of the Worlds meets the Gone series(Michael Grant), throw in some romance, add in kick-ass magic artifacts and an adorable dog = this AMAZING book!

The sum of the parts definitely add up to a greater whole in this debut novel! Fully fleshed-out characters and vivid world-building more than make up for the minor faults I found with this book.

The action starts right off on the first page and continues to build until the exciting cliff-hanger of an ending. The reader learns about the world and the characters through actions and dialogue rather than long, boring info-dumps that make you feel like you are sitting through a junior high history class. The author is descriptive enough that the action played in my head like an HD movie yet not so lengthy that my mind started to wander.

The main characters felt very real, and the romance that builds is actually believable, which is hard to find in YA lit these days. The villians are definitely scary, both alien and human, and the dangers in this post-apocalyptic world come from so many sources it was sometimes hard to keep straight.

The mystery and magic of the Strange Lands and the Strange Lands artifacts was one of the more unique and compelling elements I have seen done in sci/fi in quite a while. The mystery of the different alien groups and the source/extent of Zoey's powers are also nicely done but definitely leave the reader wanting more.

The only problems I had with this book were that I really would have liked a few more of the questions to be answered, and the too-fast pace at the end of the book. I realize that this will (hopefully!!!) have a sequel and not all the mysteries can be explained in the first book, but by the end there really had been almost no answers, only more questions. The pacing of the events after the MC's had reached their destination became so frantic I actually found myself missing things and having to go back to re-read for clarification. Could have benefitted with a few breaks in the action to absorb everything that was happening all at once.

All in all, this book exceeded my expectations and I will definitely be recommending this book to fans of sci/fi or adventure from teens to adults, and waiting impatiently for the sequel!

Thanks to Netgalley and St. Martin's Press for the ARC.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Midnight City.