Sydney's Reviews > Mogworld

Mogworld by Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 11, 2012

Like most people who have read this book, I discovered Yahtzee Croshaw through his hilarious video game review series Zero Punctuation. This book is his first, and while the writing isn't always perfect, it's an impressive debut and it got a lot of laughs out of me. As the back cover description unfortunately reveals, the story of Mogworld takes place inside of a video game, but knowledge of game mechanics aren't really necessary to enjoying it, and in fact will only make that plot twist more obvious early on. I would say that if you're a religious person you might not appreciate some elements of the story as much, especially since at least two main characters are maniacal priests. Church followers and the idea of an afterlife are also portrayed negatively. Atheists will love it, but I would advise you to avoid it if this offends you. Croshaw isn't trying to be sensitive towards anyone's beliefs, he's trying to be satirical, and just like in his reviews he pulls this off in the funniest way possible.

I also enjoyed Jim, the protagonist, who's definitely more of an anti-hero, but not in the traditional sense. Constructing a humorous plot around a "hero" who's trying to commit suicide is unusual, but also refreshingly original!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mogworld.

August 11, 2012 – Started Reading
August 11, 2012 – Shelved
August 11, 2012 –
page 111
26.88% "Just re-reading a more obscure favorite of mine!"
August 22, 2012 –