Silent_count's Reviews > The Stepsister Scheme

The Stepsister Scheme by Jim C. Hines

liked it
bookshelves: commented, fiction

This book made me think a lot about girls going through puberty. It's an age when they're starting to find their way in our, grown-up world but are themselves still touched by the glimmering magic of childhood. This is a book for all of those girls... and maybe their parents too.

It's for girls who are taught that girls are weak, and who need role-models better than the Paris Hiltons and Bella Swans of our world. It's for girls who are old enough to see through the "childish" fairy tales but haven't yet realised quite how important our imaginations are. And it's for girls who love to read... and, as every smart boy knows, they're the best kind.

This is a well crafted story. It's simple and linear but with more than enough creativity to be engaging. The only complaints I can level against it are that it uses a constricted vocabulary, which I can understand as I'd imagine the target audience are early teens. A little more problematic is the heroine who, for much of the story, seems to have little personality and is merely a puppet, buffeted to and fro by the people and events around her. Perhaps this is intentionally done so the reader can inhabit her shoes, or to show her finding her feet as the story progresses, but I found it off-putting that the secondary characters were more vibrant and interesting than the heroine.

I didn't greatly enjoy this book because it's too simplistic compared to my usual fare. However, I will be gifting a few copies to the young ladies in my life because it is a well told story and I hope they come away confident in the knowledge that being a lady isn't the same thing as being weak and helpless. Sometimes Cinderella needs to go out and rescue Prince Charming.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Stepsister Scheme.

Finished Reading