Gabrielle Ash's Reviews > Lodestone

Lodestone by Katherine Forrister

I was lucky enough to get an ARC of this book. LODESTONE is a dark fantasy tale with immersive world building and a compelling heroine following a plot with hints of Beauty and the Beast. Only this time Beauty goes to the Beast on purpose, and she does it with the intention of making herself stronger.

The beginning of LODESTONE pulled me in immediately. Forrister does an excellent job with the setting, painting the scene with small, but intentional, details that really anchor this fantasy world in both the familiar and not. The protagonist, Melaine, is a lodestone peddler, which means she crafts her own magic into stones that other people use for their own ends. Without spoiling anything, Forrister does a great job of showing the emotional and physical price a lodestone peddler must pay, which makes you sympathize with Melaine’s ultimate goal of escaping her circumstances no matter the cost.

The world and magic system give Forrister a lot of room to write more books in this world, and I hope she does because there is a lot to love here. Between the setting, the protagonist, and the magic, I’m not sure which is my favorite because they were all done so well.

I’m excited to see what Forrister writes next!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lodestone.

March 14, 2021 – Started Reading
March 14, 2021 – Shelved
March 14, 2021 –
24.0% "I am loving this so far! It has an immersive setting, a compelling protagonist, and unique world building."
March 17, 2021 –