Robert Tracy's Reviews > Hill 488

Aug 10, 2012

did not like it
bookshelves: currently-reading
I own a copy

Co-authored by Ray Hildreth, one of the survivors of "Howard's Hill". It's the story of that battle in Vietnam and the 18-man Marine Reconnaissance unit. Outnumbered 25-1 these Marines and Navy Corpsmen would "fight the battle that would make them the most highly decorated small unit in the entire history of the U.S. military".

Written in the somewhat vulgar style of a Marine, taking the reader from the author's boyhood and troubled adolescence to Marine boot camp (which is where I've left off reading for now).

I'm reading the book in memory of my own time with the same unit (1st Reconnaissance Bn., 1st Marine Division), different company. Gunny Howard, of Charlie Co., preceded me in that unit by a year and a half. Yet his story was terribly inspiring and motivating to us in Echo Co. When back in the rear we'd take 4-mile runs at least once every day and add 1 mile in honor of Gunny Howard who earned the Medal of Honor for his action on Hill 488.

This is not a case of reflected glory; I've always wanted to read a first-hand account of "Howard's Hill" and simply did a search--and there it was! "Hill 488".
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hill 488.

message 1: by Manray9 (new) - added it

Manray9 Robert: No criticism of the content, accuracy or authenticity -- in fact, only a brief comment on the "vulgar style." Why only One Star? The rating is a bit of an outlier.