Chris's Reviews > Charlie Joe Jackson's Guide to Not Reading

Charlie Joe Jackson's Guide to Not Reading by Tommy Greenwald

F 50x66
Aug 10, 2012

bookshelves: boy-book, humor, realistic-fiction, ya

Summary:
Booklist - With his deep-seated love of not reading, this title’s young narrator, Charlie Joe, speaks straight to other book-averse middle-schoolers. But avid readers will equally enjoy Charlie Joe’s story, with its wild parodies and surprises that continue to the very end. The elaborate plot revolves around Charlie Joe’s complicated tactics to avoid reading. He sets up bookworm Jake with cheerleader Hannah, (the one girl he has loved since kindergarten) for example, so that grateful Jake will read Charlie Joe’s books for a class project about school cliques, but things don’t go as planned; as Charlie Joe warns, Always be wary of plot twists. Charlie Joe’s wry first-person narrative, interspersed with anti-reading tips and occasional small cartoons, mocks nearly everyone, also himself, and the hilarious wordplay adds to the fun. Not all books are bad, though: Charlie Joe does like checkbooks (a source of gifts from grandparents), comic books, and Facebook.
My Comments:
Look out Jeff Kinney, this book will give the Wimpy Kids books a run for their money. This is an absolutely hilarious and clever look at a middle school boy determined not to read. The dialogue and things that kids are doing in this book – “ It is impossible to concentrate because I don’t have my cell phone to text my friends to break up my concentration … are spot on, and kids will recognize and identify with these characters. A few surprise twists to the plot make it all the more fun. There are 67 chapters in this book because Charlie Joe thinks all chapters should be short – and they are! Cute illustrations too.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Charlie Joe Jackson's Guide to Not Reading.

message 1: by Amani (new)

Amani i agree that some middle schoolers don`t like reading but my sister infact she read it all the way to chapter 5 and i`m still reading