Jade's Reviews > Angelology

Aug 10, 2012

it was ok
bookshelves: fantasy
Read in June, 2011 — I own a copy

Angelology is Danielle Trussoni’s fiction debut, and to be quite frank, it shows. This contemporary thriller is built around the premise that angels exist (or have existed), and have mingled with us humans. In doing this, they’ve created a human-angel offspring called the Nephilim, who are basically looking to rule the human world through sneaky plotting and conspiracies. A secret society of Angelologists are the only ones aware of this, and desperately try to prevent the dangerous Nephilim from overpowering human society by fighting (and plotting) against them.

Our protagonist, the nun Evangeline, gets caught up in this battle as she discovers things about her past, her parents, and something that a certain Nephilim is currently after.

Let me first start with what I liked about this book: its premise. I really, honestly enjoyed the concept of having human-angel offspring wandering about on earth, trying to gain more power over the world from the shadows. It’s an interesting concept, and one that I hadn’t encountered in my readings yet. Even though I’m not a religious person myself, I always enjoy a tale that’s able to build upon well-known religious concepts and/or stories, and make something entirely new of it. And in a way, Trussoni succeeds in this, giving us the gorgeously dangerous Nephilim against whom the human Angelologists almost don’t stand a chance. I wanted to know more about them; more of their history, the way they’d hidden their activities during all those centuries, etc. In short, they sparked my interest.

Secondly, Trussoni succeeded in capturing me as a reader with the story of the Nephilim pitted against the Angelologists. I wanted to know what would happen next, and felt compelled to read on. In a way, this novel of hers was exciting to me, and played up its thriller category. Unfortunately, she’s no good at physical action scenes, like chasing and fighting, and those often felt forced and unnatural to me in terms of Trussoni’s descriptions of them. I highly preferred the excitable ‘discovery’ scenes (i.e. when the characters uncovered new facts or material) over the actual action.

But other than that, this book is a mess. Its characters are horrendously flat, and none of them managed to truly capture my interest or affect my emotions save for the protagonist’s grandmother, Gabrielle (in her flashback scenes, mostly). Though the protagonist’s search into her past was vaguely interesting, merely for the sake of picking up more angelology facts, her character was dull, with no honest motivation behind her life choices. And the supposed romantic interest, art student Verlaine, struck me as completely and utterly useless, and seemed even flatter than the rest of them. (Also, nobody even seems to have heard of character development.)

Next to that, the ending is set up for a sequel so obviously that it almost hurts to read it, and we discover by the end of the book that we’re not even close to gaining all the information we could’ve gained about the Nephilim and the Angelologists. (And I, for one, would’ve liked more information since it was this premise that I was originally interested in.) The book is also terribly edited, with mistakes that were so obvious that even I pulled many ‘Huh?’-faces while reading.

In conclusion, nothing special, and nothing I would necessarily recommend unless the concept seems interesting to you (and if you’re also looking for a quick, easy, badly edited, and not so wonderfully written thriller).

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Angelology.