Dreams's Reviews > Night Beach

Night Beach by Kirsty Eagar

Aug 10, 2012

bookshelves: 4-5-star-reads, books-i-own-read, favorite-books, paper-back
Read from August 14 to 16, 2012

"He's kissing me, quick desperate kisses, like I'm something he needs to live; and I'm kissing him back, crazy with the ache I feel for him, trying to kiss him better, trying to fix him. I'm touching his face, feeling the roughness of his beard, the wet of his tears, feeling the tremors passing through his body, hearing his ragged breathing. And each kiss is a failure. A failed attempt to escape from all that's happening. And I only know this when he slows, drawing it out, letting me taste regret, letting things linger. He pulls away, and I'm saying "Don't, don't, don't", trying to bring him back, kissing his face. But I've lost him."

I loved every page of this book and having read it, I'm still ruminating over the events that took place in this story. Still trying to decide, which ones were real...which ones were conjured by the characters...if I even liked the characters...this story is multilayered and perplexing; it never went quite how I thought it would.

Kirsty Eager, an unknown until now, author to me, is an incredible talent.
I was utterly hypnotized by the writing in this book.
The story has this delectable, disturbing over tone to it that raises goosebumps on your mind while you're reading it. This is the type of book you need to read in Oregon, at night time, in an abandoned house with a coastal view.

To me, this story came down to characters desperately wanting to be loved and having been denied that, they are left with these huge gaping holes; in trying to fill them with whatever semantic things they can find (art, obsession, drugs, fear) the rest of who and what they are is leaking out and it gets messy, so very messy.

This book is probably best suited to a particular group of readers...I think you kind of need to have an artistic mind to appreciate what this book is and the type of writing it has. If you like your stories written in a way where everything lines up and makes sense, you probably will not like this story. However, if you can open your mind and delve into a novel that's a bit strange, doesn't exactly make perfect sense but, its none the less beautiful because of it, I think you'll greatly enjoy this book, I know I did.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Night Beach.

Quotes Dreams Liked

Kirsty Eagar
“He's kissing me, quick desperate kisses, like I'm something he needs to live; and I'm kissing him back, crazy with the ache I feel for him, trying to kiss him better, trying to fix him. I'm touching his face, feeling the roughness of his beard, the wet of his tears, feeling the tremors passing through his body, hearing his ragged breathing. And each kiss is a failure. A failed attempt to escape from all that's happening. And I only know this when he slows, drawing it out, letting me taste regret, letting things linger. He pulls away, and I'm saying "Don't, don't, don't", trying to bring him back, kissing his face. But I've lost him.”

Kirsty Eagar
“I don't want romance and stolen kisses and sweetness and hand holding. I want something so big it's like two planets colliding, with an aftershock that I feel for the rest of my life.”

Kirsty Eagar
“It's hard to explain, but it's related to me know that for every moment of beauty this place gives me, I probably miss a thousand more. And I want them all. I swear I'd live on the dunes if I could. I was born out of my time. I should have been around during the end of the eighteenth century, when the Romantic Era kicked off, and writers and artists were obsessed with nature: the ocean, the mountains, the sky. And they believed in following their own path, experimenting, not blindly obeying rules.
I found a quote by Henry David Thoreau- "I wanted to live deep and suck out all the marrow of life"...It made me cry. Urgency is so beautiful.”