☘Misericordia☘ ~ The Serendipity Aegis ~ ⚡ϟ⚡ϟ⚡⛈ ✺❂❤❣'s Reviews > The Rule of Four

The Rule of Four by Ian Caldwell

bookshelves: favorites
Read 2 times. Last read December 1, 2017 to December 2, 2017.

I enjoyed it a lot! It leaves a pleasant aftertaste like a good walk in an orchard. Is a bit similar to the Langdon series but a bit different in its languid pace of the plot.
DD 2017 A reread!
Q:
Like many of us, I think, my father spent the measure of his life piecing together a story he would never understand. (с)
Q:
A son is the promise that time makes to a man, the guarantee every father receives that whatever he holds dear will someday be considered foolish, and that the person he loves best in the world will misunderstand him. (c)
Q:
The adventure of our first days together gradually blossomed into something else: a feeling I'd never had, which I can only compare to the sensation of returning home, of joining a balance that needs no adjusting, as if the scales of my life had been waiting for her all along. (c)
Q:
Hope,... which whispered from Pandora's box after all the other plagues and sorrows had escaped, is the best and last of all things. Without it, there is only time. And time pushes at our backs like a centrifuge, forcing outward and away, until it nudges us into oblivion... It's a law of motion, a fact of physics..., no different from the stages of white dwarves and red giants. Like all things in the universe, we are destined from birth to diverge. Time is simply the yardstick of our separation. If we are particles in a sea of distance, exploded from an original whole, then there is a science to our solitude. We are lonely in proportion to our years. (c)
Q:
Never invest yourself in anything so deeply that its failure could cost you your happiness. (c)
Q:
I'd begun to realize that there was an unspoken predjudice among book-learned people, a secret conviction they all seemed to share, that life as we know it is an imperfect vision of reality, and that only art, like a pair of reading glasses can correct it. (c)
Q:
That was the recipe of our relationship, I think. We gave each other what we never expected to find (c)
Q:
The only things people can ever know about you are the ones that you let them see. (c)
Q:
Never mix books and bed. In the spectrum of excitement, sex & thought were on opposite ends. Both to be enjoyed, but never at the same time. (c)
Q:
Because every desire has its proper object. It means people spend their lives wanting things they shouldn’t. The world confuses into taking their love and aiming it where it doesn’t belong. (c)
Q:
Time passed, worlds diverged. ... Time is what disperses us.(c)
Q:
Adulthood is a glacier encroaching quietly on youth. When it arrives, the stamp of childhood suddenly freezes, capturing us for good in the image of our last act, the pose we struck when the ice of age set in. (c)
Q:
His intelligence was relentless and wild, a fire even he couldn't control. It swallowed entire books at a sitting, finding flaws in arguments, gaps in evidence, errors in interpretation, in objects, far from his own. (с)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Rule of Four.

December 3, 2006 – Started Reading