Shanice Singh's Reviews > The Devil Wears Black

The Devil Wears Black by L.J. Shen

Maddie is a free-spirited, kind-hearted designer who doesn't know how to say no. Her ex, Chase Black, is a cheating scoundrel who has no qualms about being a jerk.
So when Chase walks back into her life and demands that Maddie pretends to be his fiance, she takes great joy in refusing him. At first.
But eventually Maddie realizes Chase just wants to act out an engagement in order to please his dying father.
Maddie goes along with Chase's plan in an attempt to help him and his family. But it isn't long before she starts to develop genuine feelings for both him and his family.
This was very different from L. J Shen's usual work however I enjoyed it regardless. This was so much less angsty but still very beautiful and well-written.
Chase Black is an asshole but it is hard not to root for him considering his messed-up past with his bro/cousin. Maddie reminded me of Jess from New Girl but she was adorable and I just wanted to see her get the happy ending she deserved.
If you are a fan of contemporary romance, give this a go.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Devil Wears Black.

March 9, 2021 – Started Reading