Michelle's Reviews > The American Heiress

The American Heiress by Daisy Goodwin

Aug 09, 2012

bookshelves: 2012, historical
Read from August 09 to 12, 2012

4.5+ stars. Apparently back in the Gilded Age titled men of crumbling castles and wealth married rich American heiresses. He got the money, she got the title/position. It’s an interesting premise and is the setup for this novel. Cora Cash is the American Heiress from the title and what I like is that although her mother basically arranges the marriage she genuinely loves the duke. This is supposedly Downton Abbey-esque, but takes places about 20 years earlier than the show. I’ve never seen the it so I’ll have to take the word of the blurbs on the cover.

Cora is what you’d expect: feisty heroine who still fits within the societal customs. The author does a solid job maintaining her vibrant personality while making sure she doesn’t come across as too modern. This is hard too pull off and she does it perfectly. It was great fun learning about the various customs and extravagances of the time. The author clearly did her work. A thick and juicy read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The American Heiress.