Ian Robinson's Reviews > The Magic Lantern

The Magic Lantern by Ingmar Bergman

I got this book to try and glean some insight into the workings of the mind of the Swedish genius of cinema Ingmar Bergman.
i have to say that if you are hoping for a look into the creation of his films, I think "Images", another autobiographical book, is the book for you.
This book focusses more on Bergman's personal life, his physical and mental health, his relationships and, with a remarkable and sometimes shocking candidness, his childhood.
Given this, the structure of the book is as unconventional as some of Bergman's more modernist films, drifting from childhood event to adult event based not on any chronological link but on emotional connection - a memory or feeling, a day or childhood occurrence. For long periods in this book, I lost the sense I was reading an autobiography of one of the world's greatest film makers and felt I was reading a beautifully written novel.
On finishing, what struck me was how self critical, how sickly and emotionally damaged this man was, which partly explained the deep (and often dark) art he produced, but also made that he was able to produce anything all the more remarkable.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Magic Lantern.

August 9, 2012 – Started Reading