Joana Felício's Reviews > Tough Guys and Drama Queens: How Not to Get Blindsided by Your Child's Teen Years

Tough Guys and Drama Queens by Mark Gregston

Aug 09, 2012

liked it

I requested this book from Booksneeze because I was intrigued by the cover and the title. I am not a parent, I am a teenager, but I love to read the parents' version of their kids life.
There's no need to say that I loved this book, not only because I'm sure my parents will learn a lot from it, but also because it teached me so much about myself and about what I feel, as a teenager.

In this book, Mark Gregston, the founder of Hearthlight, a Christian residential counseling center, uses his years working with teenagers to teach moms and dads that it's necessary to walk a mile in their kids shoes to understand just how dificult adolescence can be. Parents need to realize that we're in a different time from their's. The media we are overexposured to can be wearing for a teenager and can cause damages in our young minds.
We need our parents, not to be judgemental, to tell us what we are doing wrong, but to be someone we feel safe talking to... a person who listens and helps, when his or her help is requested.

I would strongly recommend every parent - and teenager - of a teenager or teenager to be to read this book.
Now, understand this: it's impossible to understand a teenager - even we don't understand ourselves - but it is possible to try to make our teenage years a little less confusing and draining.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Tough Guys and Drama Queens.

August 9, 2012 – Started Reading