Tyler Hurst's Reviews > Wrecked: When a Broken World Slams into your Comfortable Life

Wrecked by Jeff Goins

Aug 09, 2012

Read from August 09 to 16, 2012

The Jeff Goins I know writes about writing. His blog dispenses many tips on how to become a better writer. His last ebook, You Are A Writer, was about the steps required to go from aspiring writer to real one. I found it helpful.

First, a few things on the top of my head.

Goins mentions God, references He and Him, and quotes and paraphrases (I think they were paraphrases, anyway) the Bible often in Wrecked. I'm not a religious person and I don't believe in god, gods or God. But I believe in faith, and I believe in people, so I chose to replace most of Goins' religious references with terms I use to describe behavior or circumstances I know to be beyond my control that I care about or affect me.

Wow, I hope that last line made sense. Anyway, Steven Pressfield's last third of The War Of Art was the same way for me.

If you're not religious, don't let that turn you off to Goins' book. It's simply a reflection of his beliefs and isn't used as a teaching mechanism.

We good? Okay.

This book was about being wrecked, which I took to mean having an experience beyond your control that deeply affected you. Because of the impact of the wrecked experience, it really doesn't matter if the outcome was good or bad because it was so intense such massive change would affect you greatly anyway.

It's about feeling compassion for others. And for the first time in my life, he nailed how most people view compassion: it's painful. It hurts to do good things for people. It really does.

But chicks dig scars if we learn from them. Emotional, mental or physically, being wrecked scars you so bad that you have no choice but to change your beliefs, your actions and maybe even who you are. As someone who's long turned toward helping others to block out my own frustrations, I can see how being wrecked becomes a goal in itself, because we're always better off long term.

Maybe that feeling is an addiction, too. Sounds a bit masochistic to me, but I'm a guy that runs in the AZ midday summer sun, so I dig it.

He didn't get five stars because about the chapter Get A Job (Fight Club reference, yes?) made me wonder if I could finish the book.

But I'm glad I did and you should read it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wrecked.

05/03/2017 marked as: read

Jeff Love your caveats. And seriously glad you enjoyed it, Tyler. Thanks for being honest and gracious, like a good friend.