Jami Zehr's Reviews > Circle of Enemies

Circle of Enemies by Harry Connolly

Aug 09, 2012

Read from August 09 to 14, 2012

Circle of Enemies is the third book in Harry Connolly’s Twenty Palaces series, and the last book to be published by Del Rey. Which is completely unfortunate. This book was amazing, most definitely the best of the three, and had only just begun to explain Ray Lily’s background and how he was thrown into magic, predators, and spell books.

Ray is visited by a ghost from his past. She appears out of nowhere in his apartment above his aunt’s garage, blames him for killing her and the rest of their mutual friends, and disappears. Ray realizes that somehow magic has infiltrated his group of friends from the old days, the days he left behind when he was finally released from prison, and in spite of what may be a personal set back, he is determined to discover what is happening and help his old friends, if he can. And if he can’t, then he knows he has to call the Twenty Palaces Society, a society that shoots to kill first, and then asks questions. Ray is weary of involving the Society before figuring out what is really going on, and wants to see if he can save anyone from magic, predators, or themselves.

Ray is intelligent, he is both street savvy and thinks through consequences of his decisions. Although new to the Twenty Palaces Society he tries to learn what he can to make informed decisions. But he is man haunted by his past, like the rest of us. (Well, maybe my ghost’s are a little less blood thirsty.) He has a lot to overcome, both the accusations of his friends and his own guilt. I always liked Ray in the previous books, but I admired his tenacity and his willingness to do the right thing (which often got him into more trouble) in the third book. I also liked reading the fight scenes, something I usually skip over. I liked reading them because Ray always did what I thought he should do, he was scrappy and didn’t hesitate to hurt someone who was trying to hurt him. Not to say this always worked in his favor, but it was a relief to read fight scenes that I was mentally yelling at the character to do the smart thing, and he did. I was also quite pleased that Ray would steal food out of people’s refrigerators after he was finished fighting them, knowing he needed fuel for the hard road ahead. Yes, totally. That is exactly what a character like this would do, and Connolly always played Ray truthfully to his character. So refreshing.

Read more at Absurdly Nerdly

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Circle of Enemies.