Mimi Smith's Reviews > Dream Lake

Aug 09, 2012

bookshelves: contemporary-romance
Read from August 09 to 10, 2012

4 stars

This may not be a standard romance, may be more women's fiction than romance, but I liked it a lot. Lisa Kleypas can write all right. But this series is definitely not my favorite by her.

"A wedding is a ceremony where a symbolic virgin surrounded by women in ugly dresses marries a hungover groom accompanied by friends he hasn’t seen in years but made them show up anyway. After that, there’s a reception where the guests are held hostage for two hours with coated almonds, and the DJ tries to brainwash everyone into doing the electric slide and the Macarena, which some drunk idiots always go for. The only good part about a wedding is the free booze.”

Nice, Alex. Here we can see a classic proof of Alex's cynicism, disillusionment, and lack of tact. He's been battered by life, so now he sees everything in the worst possible way. Not to mention his perchance for seeking oblivion in whiskey, Jack and other nifty helpers. Not anyone's Prince Charming, that's for sure. And to top it off he began seeing a ghost. Well that actually might be a good thing because they might help each other, the ghost may make him see how deep he's in, and he may help the ghost learn who he is. So from there on, we have two stories seen through the eyes of a very introvent and changing Alex.

The back story:Tom and Emma

“It’s like your whole life you’ve been falling toward the earth, until the moment someone catches you. And you realize that somehow you’ve caught her at the same time. And together, instead of falling, you might be able to fly.”

I liked this story. It was sad and hopeful, an so sweet. It provided the perfect backdrop and a parallel to everything else. So, I can understand the ghost. This differs from my view of the magic in the previous books. There I didn't understand it's purpose and thought in unnecessary and too much. Here it felt just right.

Alex and Zoe

I admit we got to see much more of Alex than Zoe, but I think we needed to in order to believe he's not that much of an ass, and that he can and does love Zoe. He makes mistake and runs, but at the end we can see he's marshmallow inside. Scout's honor. It was slow, and it was sweet and it was right and I'm glad I read the story of Alex and Zoe. Especially the part where Alex goes from Beast to prince. Cool.

But, the near-death experience? Too much. it felt like cheating, when that made his mind change so suddenly. Like using a shortcut, so it was, you know, not the way I wanted it resolved.

So, conclusion: sweet, pretty, hopeful book. Lots of goodies here. And for the ending, a bit of Kleypas humor, I swear I love the way she writes:

“What’s emotion salad?” Mark asked, amused.
“You know that thing women do. The happy-crying thing. Or the sad-mad thing. I don’t get how anyone can have more than one feeling at a time. It’s like trying to simultaneously watch TVs on different channels.”

“You’ve been divorced for a couple of years now, and you’ve been a nun. Sex is good for you, you know. Relieves stress and improves cardiovascular health, and lowers the risk of prostate cancer, and besides—”
“I don’t have a prostate. Men have prostates.”
“I know, but think of how much you’ll be helping some poor guy out.”

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dream Lake.

08/09/2012 page 224
67.0% "“You are everything that’s ever been my favorite thing,” she wanted to tell him. “You are my love song, my birthday cake, the sound of ocean waves and French words and a baby’s laugh. You’re a snow angel, crème brulée, a kaleidoscope filled with glitter. I love you and you’ll never catch up, because I’ve gotten a head start and my heart is racing at light speed.”

So many beautiful quotes here..."

Anna (Bobs Her Hair) Nice review, Mimi! Kleypas does have quotable moments. :o)

Mimi Smith Anna wrote: "Nice review, Mimi! Kleypas does have quotable moments. :o)"

Yeah, she's good with those :)

message 3: by Karla (new)

Karla Nicely done Mimi! I'm seeing good feedback on this book. The first one in the series did not impress me and I never read book 2, but I might have to re-think that!

BTW...nice to see you!

Mimi Smith Karla wrote: "Nicely done Mimi! I'm seeing good feedback on this book. The first one in the series did not impress me and I never read book 2, but I might have to re-think that!

BTW...nice to see you!"

Yes, well, this is not LK's best series IMO, but it all got much better after the first book. This is my fav so far.

And... Nice too see you, and everyone, really, too.