A.'s Reviews > The Sleeper and the Spindle

The Sleeper and the Spindle by Neil Gaiman

19929606

liked it
bookshelves: children-s, fairytales, fantasy, folklore, high-fantasy

The Sleeper and the Spindle is a retelling of both Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs and Sleeping Beauty. Throughout the land a sleeping spell is spreading, caused by the sleeping girl in the tower of a castle in the next kingdom. The queen of this kingdom (Snow White) and her three dwarf friends must find a way into the sleeping princess' castle and break the curse.

This isn't my favorite retelling of either of these two fairy tales, nor is it my favorite Neil Gaiman but it was a fun story nonetheless. The storytelling style reminded me a lot of Susanna Clarke's writing, and she does fantastic fairy tale retellings.
This story is not that character driven, unfortunately. We don't get a lot of character from the queen, but we do learn of her relationship with her magical stepmother, and how she used this to overcome another magical woman seeking adoration and power. I thought that was a clever way of handling the hero/villain trope.

There isn't much else to say about the story itself. It's a simple story, and a great one for kids who want different versions of their classic fairy tales.

The illustrations by Chris Riddell are absolutely stunning, however, and I think that people of all ages should pick up this book if only for the art.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Sleeper and the Spindle.

March 5, 2021 – Started Reading