Giselle's Reviews > Landry Park

Landry Park by Bethany Hagen

An Electronic Advanced Reader Copy was provided by the publisher for review. Quotes have been pulled from an ARC and may be subject to change.

Madeline is your beautiful, wealthy gentry girl poised to inherit Landry Park. But when she stumbles upon a plot that will unravel all the secrets that her family has hidden from her, she realizes she must find the strength within to go against them or to be by their side. Landry Park is an intricate and beautifully written novel set in the far future where the Rootless perish and the Gentry flourish.

I liked Madeline’s character. She’s not perfect, she knows she’s weak, and in time she grows out of it. I like that she stands up for what she wants even though her family imprisons her. I didn’t understand her attraction to David though. It felt too much like a crush..Even though there were two boys vying for her affection, I didn’t understand Jude’s place and that bothered me. The twists and turns in the far end did make this book better, but I just wish all the world building was placed in the beginning. I did enjoy the fluid writing style and reminded me of Darkness Shows the Stars too.

I had some issues with this one. Where was the history of all the energy uses? It was only a sprinkling of how it happened. A better timeline of how the world would have helped me so much. I was scrambling to find out what year it was set in. One main point I missed was the plot. Was trying to find who hurt Cara the entire story? Or was it Madeline trying to get out of her family’s legacy? Because I felt lost as to what the main story was. Why were the Rootless taken to be the lowest caste? What did the Rootless do to deserve such treatment? What did they do that was so badly? I needed answers about this war. Why did the Eastern Empire want to take over? I also don’t understand why there was so much emphasis on the balls and her society life. So I’m guessing this is why it’s being compared to The Selection? Also just a warning, that things start to get interesting at around the first hundred pages.

Overall, a good enough dystopian read if you like love triangles, ball gowns, and a family conspiracy are your thing, then this one is for you!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Landry Park.

August 8, 2012 – Shelved
December 31, 2013 – Shelved as: from-author
January 19, 2014 – Started Reading
January 22, 2014 –
page 26
6.95% "Hydrogen engines? Interesting"
January 22, 2014 –
page 32
8.56% "So just because they're underclass, they're criminals? WTF! Terrible way of thinking"
January 23, 2014 – Finished Reading