SJ's Reviews > The Maze Runner

The Maze Runner by James Dashner

did not like it
bookshelves: dystopian, mystery-thriller, speculative-fiction, ya

Well I may watch the movie, but I won't be reading any of the sequels. I only read this book because of the upcoming movie adaptation anyway, and it never really grabbed my attention or emotions. I was alternately bored and angry the first hundred and fifty pages or so, super-annoyed with the repetitiveness of the main character reiterating everything he'd just learned or realized as if I hadn't read about it a mere two pages ago. None of the relationships felt real to me, Thomas seemed like an arrogant a-hole from the way he immediately talked down to Chuck and kept thinking things like "gee, despite the fact that Alby is so grumpy I'm kinda hoping he doesn't die, isn't that like so grown-up of me and stuff"? (loose paraphrase :-P) And even when Thomas is supposed to be sentimental it just came off weird and annoying to me, like when he realized (actual quote this time): "he was worried about the girl. Concerned for her welfare. As if he knew her." Right, because you can't be concerned about a person who is mysteriously in a coma for days unless you know them. And who talks like that about someone they DO know?! "I'm concerned for her welfare." It's so stiff and overly formal. Or like when he realizes, of Chuck, "He loved him as if they had the same mom." Just say you love him like a little brother! Why do you have to make it weird? Is that Special Agent Ashburn over there? (If you've seen "The Heat" you'll get that reference.)

I might have given it two stars because I did think it was interesting and cool (from a linguistic anthropologist perspective) that the Gladers had invented their own slang, and by the time there were only about a hundred pages left I was intrigued enough with wanting to know how the dang the mystery was going to be solved that I knew I would keep reading until I finished it. However, it got demoted to a single star because of (view spoiler)

There's way to little resolution and questions left unanswered for my liking, which I realize is probably addressed in the sequel books that I'm never going to read. And I get that the story is told as Thomas experiences it, so we're supposed to be equally clueless at the beginning as he is, but I just can't really stand that style of mystery. Give me clues to a mystery that I can actually solve or at least guess at, don't just feed me weird details and then end with stuff still having no explanation and the main problem having been overcome with the help of information gained through means that were not available to me or any other character besides the main one. That's so cheating. But ultimately it was only one of several reasons why I did not like this book.

Too see my blog post analyzing the Glader slang, go here: http://pagelady.wordpress.com/2013/07...

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Maze Runner.

August 8, 2012 – Shelved
July 15, 2013 – Started Reading
July 17, 2013 –
page 22
July 21, 2013 –
page 104
27.08% "This book has yet to pull me in. I'm forcing myself to keep going only because it's a library book that's due soon."
July 21, 2013 –
page 250
65.1% "Basically hate-reading, but intrigued to get the dang mystery solved already."
July 21, 2013 – Shelved as: dystopian
July 21, 2013 – Shelved as: mystery-thriller
July 21, 2013 – Shelved as: speculative-fiction
July 21, 2013 – Shelved as: ya
July 21, 2013 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

Mazerunnerfan Um this book is awesome but I've never read the second book or the maze runner book I'm in the death cure book