SJ's Reviews > Tiger Lily

Tiger Lily by Jodi Lynn Anderson

bookshelves: ya, romance, re-reads

"Peter Pan" is one of my favorite books of all time, so I was pretty sure before I ever cracked the cover that I would also love this re-telling of the tale from princess Tiger Lily's perspective. And I did. Tiger Lily is fiercely independent yet unsure of herself and many aspects of life and relationships, because that's what it is to be a teenager. She's a social outcast but also a leader. She has incredibly loyal friends but doesn't always appreciate them. I just...I just loved her and empathized with her so much. She kind of reminded me of Jo March, when Jo berates herself "why wouldn't Aunt March prefer Amy to go? I fly around throwing away perfectly good marriage proposals...I love our home but I'm just so hateful I can't stand myself here!" I was never as forest-savy as Tiger Lily but we're all a little beastly sometimes, aren't we? Especially growing up.

Reasons I only gave it four instead of five stars: I didn't like (view spoiler)

**update: re-read for bookclub january 2016. liked it better on the second time but still sticking with the 4 stars because i still don't like the leter from peter at the end.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Tiger Lily.

Quotes SJ Liked

Jodi Lynn Anderson
“Let me tell you something straight off. This is a love story, but not like any you've ever heard. The boy and the girl are far from innocent. Dear lives are lost. And good doesn't win.”

Jodi Lynn Anderson
“I'm not myself," she offered, guiltily. She softened around Tik Tok, and when she did she was, for those rare moments, girlish.

He smiled. "You can never say that. You're just a piece of yourself right now that you don't like.”

Jodi Lynn Anderson
“If there was a true moment that Tiger Lily fell so in love with Peter she could never turn back, it was that night, when he shivered and walked and told her he was warm, and told her he loved her so much. She was fierce, to be sure, but she had a girl's heart, after all. As she walked home that night, she was shaking from the largeness of it.”

Jodi Lynn Anderson
“Many people in the village wanted her to be more of a girl, and Peter had wanted her to be large and brave but a little less large and brave than him. But Pine Sap was sure enough to want her to be exactly who she was.”

August 8, 2012 – Shelved
April 29, 2013 –
page 33
April 29, 2013 –
page 69
23.63% ""I'm not myself." "You can never say that. You're just a piece of yourself right now that you don't like."" (ebook Edition)
April 30, 2013 – Shelved as: ya