Book Him Danno's Reviews > Wake

Wake by Amanda Hocking

Aug 08, 2012

bookshelves: 2012
Read from August 08 to 09, 2012

This is a story about two sisters who have lost their mother(she’s alive but living in a group home.) The oldest sister has pretty much raised the younger sister Gemma. They love each other, but the relationship is strained due to their mother’s issues. You feel for both sisters, the one who wants to be free and the one who wants to be young, but feels responsible for everyone and everything. I’ve known both of these personality types and they can butt heads more often than not.

The story revolves around three girls who have shown up and the disappearance of some residence of the small seaside town. Gemma becomes involved with the three and the story goes on from there but I don’t want to ruin it for you. Romance is in the cards for both girls, even is one is not as willing to embrace it at first. I really liked the way Gemma’s romance developed and yet her sister’s determination to be responsible made the making of her romance even sweeter. Alex and Daniel are men I wouldn’t mind getting to know, both different and yet the same where it matters.

Wake kept me turning the pages until the bitter end and now my 12 year old daughter is reading it. I loved the idea of the water singing to Gemma and the ending left me wanting to get my hands on the next book as soon as possible. The ending was a bit scary and the idea of Gemma, who is sweet, driven and competitive, being involved with the three strangers is worrisome. Will she become one of them or will she find a way to be free? Will her sister help save her or will she be lost forever? I want to know and think that waiting until November a bit unreasonable. But what choice do I have?

If you enjoy paranormal teen romance you will enjoy this book. If you enjoy Amanda Hocking’s books then this is a must read for you.

Give the Watersong series a try, I don’t think you will be disappointed.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wake.

08/08/2012 page 160
52.0% "Went to a book signing with Amanda Hocking yesterday and hope to finish the book tonight."
08/08/2012 page 220
71.0% "Not mermaids, Sirens instead."