Jo's Reviews > Ready Player One

Ready Player One by Ernest Cline

bookshelves: speculative-fiction

In a dark future full of pain and misery, hunger and heartache, and evil corporations running the world, there is only one bright spot: a virtual reality game known as OASIS.

Wade Watts (so named because the alliteration makes him sound like the secret identity of a superhero) is just one of many gunters, searching for the Easter Egg hidden inside the OASIS. Finding the Easter Egg is the game within the game -- and something that has kept gunters searching for five years. A game that depends on an encyclopedic knowledge of geek-trivia from the 1980s.

Fuelled by a love of roleplaying games, 80s TV shows and movies, and more early video games than you can poke a joystick at, this book is like the 80s on steroids. (But without any of the negatives.) I loved the world-building, the characters, the puzzles, and the ubiquitous 80s trivia. And the quests! Why don't more books these days have puzzles and quests? So much fun.

Also... Hello, Firefly-class spaceship!

In all fairness, though, I feel it's necessary to add that the narrative wasn't perfect. There were a few logic loopholes, at least three hefty doses of backstory exposition and two cases of deus ex machina. But you know what? I didn't care. I honestly didn't. Those things that would normally knock me out of the story didn't even rate a mental wince in this case. The authoir's voice was fresh and bright and enthusiastic, the story was exciting and PUZZLES and CLUES and did I mention the geeky 80s trivia?

Also... How can you not love a world where an encyclopedic knowledge of Monty Python and the Holy Grail is a survival tool?

If you know the difference between an African and a European swallow, you've ever had a notebook emblazoned with the words "Don't Panic", or you know how many lions it takes to form Voltron, you will love this book.

1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ready Player One.

August 8, 2012 – Started Reading