Tom Pappalardo's Reviews > It

It by Stephen King

Aug 08, 2012

Read from August 08 to 19, 2012

I haven't revisited this book in maybe ten years. This is probably the fourth time I've read it, maybe? It still holds up as being interesting, though as I get older (and get more critical of my own writing) I found myself getting a little more annoyed and impatient with King than I used to. Some random thoughts:

* There were numerous instances where he would use the same word within one or two sentences of each other, (A made-up example: "Bev let out a blood-curdling scream. In the other room, her father smelled curdled milk.") and all I could do was think "Didn't he proof this? Didn't that sound odd to him? To anyone?" A minor but annoying thing.

* The overuse of italics (for whole chapter sections, no less) is REALLY TIRING TO THE EYES.

* Let's talk about Beverly. Bev Beef #1: I thought the sex-with-young-Bev stuff at the end was a lot more unnecessary and inappropriate than in previous readings. Maybe I'm just getting older. It felt completely unnecessary and was really not justified by a good reason ("Oh, we need to do that so we can find our way out. Uh, sure."). For all the "Master Of Horror" titles that get bestowed upon King, I think this might've been one of the creepier things he's ever written, in the lecherous Aqualung sense of the word.
Bev Beef #2: King wrote a pretty cool strong young female character who did a bunch of cool, brave stuff, and then at the end of both stories, she just sort of stands there and screams and/or cries.

* I feel like Mike Hanlon was sort of thrown away at the end of the story. He seemed really inconsequential - sort of optional - which is too bad cos I liked him. Him and Stan didn't feel as fully realized/fleshed out as the other characters. I also resent still picturing Venus Flytrap in my head.

I still like the book. I like being critical of things that I like.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read It.

04/07/2016 marked as: read

Bill Sweet Loved that book. Until the end.

message 2: by Tom (new) - rated it 4 stars

Tom Pappalardo Bill wrote: "Loved that book. Until the end."

That's like my review of every single Stephen King book ever.

Barbara the best review of It. this is how a review should be written. Thanks

Amalia Great review, and I feel the same about the whole Bev. thing at the end. It was completely unnecessary. Mike and Stan were weak compare to the others. Great review. Can't wait to start my next king novel.