Sarah's Reviews > Trust Your Eyes

Trust Your Eyes by Linwood Barclay

Aug 08, 2012

Linwood Barclay takes a very original and imaginative idea and turns it into something amazing.

The book essentially follows two separate stories. First is the story of Ray Kilbridge and his rather delusional brother Thomas. Whilst Ray is trying to deal with the death of their father and the strange things surrounding it, Thomas is exploring the world and memorising each street using the programme Whirl 360, all from the comfort of his computer chair. Whilst exploring New York, Thomas comes across an image that looks suspiciously like a murder. Unfortunately for Thomas and Ray, this image leads them into danger that’s worse than either of them could ever have imagined.

The second story is based around Bridget. A woman who is seriously struggling for money, and sees a quick solution – blackmail – but blackmail is a dirty business that results in lots of blood, including a murder that takes place in the window of her apartment just as a whirl 360 camera goes past and puts it online for all to see.

All it took was for me to finish the prologue before I was hooked and couldn’t put the book down.

The book was written from the view points of various characters, which worked really well in helping the reader to understand the ‘fuller picture’ of the who’s, what’s, where’s and how’s. However, with their being a wide range of characters I did find myself skimming back through the book in order to remember who everyone was and what part they played in the story. In saying that though, I felt that every character played a vital role in making the story work as well as it did.

The only criticism that I found was that one of the characters (Morris Sawchuck) who whilst vital for the plot of the story, wasn’t a character who’s history with the CIA needed to be at all explored, as it seemed to have nothing to do with the main plot. It was, I have to admit, a page that I skipped because it didn’t interest me at all and I really don’t feel that I lost anything in the story by doing this.

In all, Linwood Barclay had you constantly suspecting everyone of wrong doings and created incredible suspense with his amazing cliff hangers, even down to the final page. Definitely a book worth reading!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Trust Your Eyes.