Laura's Reviews > Unbroken: A World War II Story of Survival, Resilience and Redemption

Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand

Aug 08, 2012

bookshelves: 2012, school-assigned

First of all, I'd like to thank my AP US History teacher for choosing such a compelling book as my summer assignment. Unbroken is one of the best books I've read for school.

Louis Zamperini is introduced as a rebellious teenager from Torrance, California. Nothing seemed to get through to him. That was until his older brother,Pete, introduced him to track. Louis's stubborn nature pushed him to become the best middle distance runner in America. He competed in the 1936 Olympics in the 5,000 meter run and shocked the world. Louis's dream of going to the next Olympics were crushed though by the start of World War II. He joined the forces and became a bombardier. Due to fatal miscalculations Louis's plane ended up crashing in the middle of the Pacific Ocean and left him stranded in a lifeboat with very limited supplies. Things take a turn for the worse when he is captured by the Japanese. Louis is forced to do slave work under Japanese soldiers and is repeatedly treated inhumanly.

This was a hard book for me to digest. I consider myself to have a weak stomach and just the thought of witnessing such horrible deeds being carried out made me sick. I can't even imagine how Louis was able to forgive all of those Japanese soldiers so easily. Zamperini is the kind of person I look up to. I strongly recommend everyone 14+ to read this book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Unbroken.

August 8, 2012 – Started Reading
August 8, 2012 – Shelved
August 8, 2012 – Shelved as: 2012
August 8, 2012 – Shelved as: school-assigned
August 14, 2012 –
page 74
15.64% "I wish I didn't have to take notes on this book :c. I hate being so anal retentive."
August 15, 2012 –
page 146
30.87% "Slowly but surely!"
August 16, 2012 –