Davis's Reviews > The Farthest Shore

The Farthest Shore by Ursula K. Le Guin

Aug 07, 2012

Read in August, 2012

After the complete unexpectedness of Tombs of Atuan, I expected this book to be quite different also. It's not; the story hits some of the same points as the first book, and suffers a little for it. Arren, the main character, wasn't as interesting, and Ged really takes the spotlight away a little too much. Ged tries to relive his past by going on a journey that he should never have left on, and Le Guin feels like she's doing the same thing with the story as a whole. Also, Ged talks philosophy a whole lot, which is interesting, but occasionally distracting. Sometimes, the writing was a bit confusing too, though that may have been her intent, because magic is going away and confusing things. The writing was not quite as tight as the first two in the series. The villain was also supposed to be a counterpoint to Arren: one man can cause both great harm or great good. However, I never really saw Arren do those things, and didn't see him grow into being someone truly powerful. This book is about his journey to that point, but I didn't feel he was deserving. The adventure they go on is still truly epic like the other books, and the world remains consistent and interesting to read. Still a great book, but just a little more flawed than the first two. If the focus had been on Ged, with Arren as the side character, I feel this book would have succeeded more. Not simply because Ged is the true main character of the series, but because this felt more like Ged's journey, with Arren tagging along because Ged sees something in him.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Farthest Shore.