Karyn's Reviews > In Defense of Food: An Eater's Manifesto

In Defense of Food by Michael Pollan

Nov 25, 2008

Read in December, 2008

I found this book to be quite convicting. And, let me tell you, I needed a kick in the rear!

Over all, we eat quite healthy. However, this past year or so I have become a bit lazy. I had my second child, my husband travels, healthy food must be searched out, etc. begins my long list of excuses. Needless to say, tightening up the pantry (so to speak) is one of my goals for this coming year. This book has provided me with much needed motivation to proceed!

Yet while I feel motivated, I once again feel frustrated with where I live. CSA boxes are not an option in my town, my farmers' market is only okay (at best) and runs just through the four-ish summer months, and my local grocery store is very limited in what it stocks. I grew up a few miles from where this author resides, and reading his book makes me deeply wish I still lived there! Still, I must stay motivated to feed myself and my family healthfully.

The things I can take away from this book while living in my limited-access town are as follows:
*Eat slowly
*Shop the parameters of the grocery store
*Continue to frequent the farmers' market (when available-consider buying extra to freeze?)
*Base our meals around plants
*Search for a whole grain mail order resource
*Garden as much as I can while still involving the boys
*Keep talking with my boys about food and where it comes from

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read In Defense of Food.

12/14/2008 page 7
12/15/2008 page 79
38.54% "So much information...it's making my brain spin in all different directions..."
show 2 hidden updates…

Comments (showing 1-3)

dateUp arrow    newest »

Laura I'm glad you're reading this Karyn! It's been an important book for us in thinking about how we eat. I'll be interested to hear what you think about it!

message 2: by Priscilla (new)

Priscilla I understand your frustration, Karyn. I raised my children in Alaska 30 years ago(certainly no CSA boxes or farmer's markets in Soldotna or Glenallen!). But it was important to me to eat healthily and feed my children that way. One measure I used for that was eating as close to the way God made it as I could. So very little refined and processed foods. If there's a good health food store in your town, you could ask them about a food co-op to join. That was a big help to us for several years. Best wishes for success. It certainly sounds like you're on the right track!

Christy Wow, I can't tell you how familiar you sound. When my first child was a baby, I belonged to an organic food co-op, cooked everything form scratch - babyfood to bread to pasta, was more physically active and happier. After my 2nd we moved, my husband started traveling and was gone 4-6 nights a week, and I kinda lost that spark of energy. Fast fwd 9 years. I've gained 20lbs despite buying into all of the health claims plastered all over the news.

This book has been a real eye opener for me. I wish you sucess in your new mindful way of eating. It gets more challenging as the kids get older, but I'm sure you will the the best for your family.