Natalie's Reviews > In Search of Saints

In Search of Saints by Harper Fox

Aug 07, 2012

liked it

2.5 stars, I think. This story is told in the first-person point of view of Mitch, and Mitch's head is an uncomfortable place to be. He's still reeling from the betrayal of his slimy ex, Lewis, who stole his archaeological research. Mitch now has a rebound guy, his assistant, Owen. Owen is a good man but Mitch can't help but compare him to Lewis. Owen isn't handsome like Lewis, not flashy or daring or exciting. Mitch can't even come during sex without fantasizing about Lewis. And Mitch is not nice to Owen. He's short-tempered and rude, almost as if he were trying to push Owen into reacting, into showing some spine. Things eventually come to a head, and Mitch realizes how much Owen means to him, but it happens so quickly that I'm not sure I believe it.

All this relationship drama is wrapped in some sort of archaeological quest that may or may not have paranormal elements. Honestly, I'm still a little fuzzy on the details. I was so distressed about how Owen was being wronged by Mitch that I had a hard time concentrating on the plot. The writing, as usual for Harper Fox, is lush and descriptive. If you're already a fan of her writing, you'll probably like it. If not, you may find it difficult to get into.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read In Search of Saints.

message 1: by Vio (new) - rated it 4 stars

Vio I will give it a shot!

message 2: by Ami (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ami Hmmmm, this might not be a priority then. Thanks for taking this one for the team :-)

message 3: by Mandapanda (new)

Mandapanda Thanks for the review Natalie. I might put it on the backburner too.

message 4: by Elizabetta (new) - added it

Elizabetta Thanks for the review. I do like Fox's writing style so will add this one to my list.

Natalie The writing is definitely good. I almost feel guilty for rating it low-ish, but I just didn't connect with Mitch the way I have with characters in her other stories.

message 6: by Elizabetta (new) - added it

Elizabetta Natalie wrote: "The writing is definitely good. I almost feel guilty for rating it low-ish, but I just didn't connect with Mitch the way I have with characters in her other stories."

I know what you mean...and thanks for the warning. I sometimes have to get over that 'guilt' feeling when a book just doesn't fulfill it's potential for me. We all react differently though and your review was enough to let me know to give this one a try. Now if you'd given it 1 star that would have been a different story :)