Anna's Reviews > I am Charlotte Simmons

I am Charlotte Simmons by Tom Wolfe

Jul 31, 2007

liked it

Hmmm...I don't know how to sum this book up, because the ending left me with a very weird taste in my mouth - it seemed too abrupt (even after 700+pages)!

The story and characters kept me totally engrossed, mainly because they took me right back to my first few days at UC Davis and what it felt like to be thrown into such a bizarre mix of people and behaviors. Charlotte was a lot more sheltered than I was before heading off to college, but her feelings of loneliness and an intense need to belong (all while being skeptical of why she was looking for acceptance from total strangers) definitely resonated with me.

Wolfe's writing is detailed and in today's vernacular (or as close to today's college vernacular as a middle-aged, well-read guy can get), so this was a really quick read for me. I wasn't bored at any point, and often had trouble putting the book down.

Still, I have to say I am unhappy with the ending. No, every storyline and conflict didn't get tied up neatly (nor should they), but I still felt - especially after so many detail-filled pages - that some key characters' transitions did get skipped over.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read I am Charlotte Simmons.