Brian T's Reviews > JFK and the Unspeakable: Why He Died and Why It Matters

JFK and the Unspeakable by James W. Douglass

M 50x66

I read this as my 3rd book in a series of 3 about the assassination. I found it to be a great finale. It is thoroughly researched and all-encompassing. The author makes a pretty straight-forward case: JFK "saw the light" and began communicating privately with Kruschev and Castro about long-term peace. He was ready to get out of Vietnam. He was ready to do whatever he could to end the Cold War and to dramatically diminish the power of the Pentagon, and the CIA in particular, while working towards true World Peace. Therefore, the "powers that be" conspired to end his life.

The evidence strongly supports his argument.

As far as Lee Harvey Oswald as a lone assassin is concerned, I learned a lot from this book that the other two books I had read on the subject did not cover. One example is the argument that there was an identical assassination plot in Chicago for 3 weeks prior to 11/22, and the patsy that was in place for that plot couldn't have been more alike Oswald if he tried. They had similar military training and expertise, a similar loner personality, arguably similar CIA affiliations, and they both just so happened to obtain jobs in buildings overlooking the President's motorcade route just shortly before the President was due to arrive. Had the Chicago plot not been uncovered by a local police officer who heard about a strange guy in a coffee shop, and a tip from an anonymous "Lee" about a sniper-team that was apprehended, the world might now know the name "Vallee" as the assassin of JFK instead of Lee Harvey Oswald.

The author also does a wonderful job of introducing us to the fact that the witnesses of Lee Harvey Oswald caused a huge problem for the Warren Commission when it heard their testimony. Time after time, there was viable evidence that Lee Harvey Oswald was in the 2 different places at once. Obviously, the author suggests that the conspiracy involved a double for Oswald, but he doesn't speculate as to who that might be.

Last, but certainly not least, is the fate of so many of the witnesses to the assassination and its cover-up. It is truly scary how many of them suffered horribly for telling the truth and for not changing their story, even though changing their story to suit the scenario painted by the Warren Commission would have been so much easier.

At times this book got a little too religious for me, but other than that, I found it to be exceptional.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read JFK and the Unspeakable.

Finished Reading