Penny's Reviews > Facing Your Giants

Facing Your Giants by Max Lucado

Aug 07, 2012

Read in August, 2012

This is an amazing read by Max Lucado!! i couldn't begin to share all my thoughts, but would like to share one of my favorites from the book.

Lucado tell a story of Florence Chadwick who in 1952 attempted to swim the chilly ocean waters between Catalina Island and the California shore. She swam through foggy weather and choppy seas for 15 hours!! Her muscles began to cramp, and her resolve weakened. She begged to be taken out of the water, but her m other, riding in a boat alongside, urged her not to give up. She kept trying but grew exhausted and stopped swimming. Aids lifted her out of the water and into the boat. They paddled a few more minutes, the mist broke, and she discovered that the shore was less than a half mile!!! "All I could see was the fog," she explained at a news conference. "I think if I could have seen these shore, I would have made it."

"Take a long look at the shore that awaits you. Don't be fooled by the fog of the slump. The finish maybe only strokes away. God may be, at this moment, lifting His hand to signal Gabriel to grab the trumpet. Angels assembling, saints gathering, demons trembling. STAY AT IT! Stay in the water. Stay in the race. Stay in the fight. Give grace one more time. Be generous, one more time. Teach one more class, encourage one more soul, swim one more stroke."

A book recommended for ages 20-100+
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Facing Your Giants.