Victoria's Reviews > Highly Inappropriate Tales for Young People

Highly Inappropriate Tales for Young People by Douglas Coupland

liked it

I found this to be a really interesting book. While I've rated it three stars, I can imagine it being rated very well by a niche group of readers with a particular sense of humour. I think it will be well love by some, hated by others, but leave most of us feeling kind of 'meh' like we missed the jokes.

Leaving the crude content and particular brand of humour aside, the work is quite unique and well thought out on a few levels. The stories are constructed and illustrated as many children's picture books - the illustrations add to the story beyond what is contained within the textual narrative. In some cases the illustrations actually tell you more about what happens to the characters and the circumstances after the text has concluded the story.

The individual stories don't wrap themselves up neatly and this is, in a way, a good thing. You can walk away wondering about the characters, their motivations, and what drives them to do what they do, very much like the individuals we know in real life; we'll never understand why people we know act in the irrational behaviour that they do, and it's part of what keeps us contemplating life and its meaning. Coupland's characters are well-developed through their actions and their dialogue, very much in the way that most children's picture (3-5 story books) books accomplish this without a lot of background text.

It's obvious to say that this is a book was intended to be a book written for adults in the children's books' style. What's not so obvious from the cover and first glance is that this is that Coupland has accomplished writing adult book written in the children's literature style quite well, even if the crude content doesn't appeal to everyone.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Highly Inappropriate Tales for Young People.

Started Reading