Jane's Reviews > Vision in White

Vision in White by Nora Roberts

Aug 07, 2012

liked it

This is the first Nora Roberts book that I have read. In fact, when I picked this up at the library, that was the first time I had heard of Nora Roberts at all. Having seen her bibliography, and read some of the reviews of her books, this now seems strange. She is a prolific writer, and seemingly very popular, and yet I had never heard of her, let alone read her.

I decided to read Vision in White when I saw it at the library and realised that it was the first in a series of four. I often pick up a book in my small village library, and like the look of it, before realising that it is the second book of five, or the third book of seven. I love a series of books, but something like this isn't one that I would go out of my way to read. Because it was number one, and it looked entertaining, I thought I'd give it a go.

Vision in White introduces four childhood friends, MacKenzie, Emmaline, Parker and Laurel, who run a successful wedding planner business, called Vows. The focus of this book is MacKenzie, the photographer of the business. All the way through the book, it's clear that Mac has commitment problems, and her issues are tested when she meets the man who is clearly her very own Mr Right.

I usually steer clear of any book that mentions a wedding in the title or the synopsis. I'm sick and tired of reading about clichéd women planning their weddings, with all the trappings that come with it. But this one promised something a little bit different; sure, weddings would be involved, but the main characters are not the ones getting married, they are the ones organising the wedding. I think a secret part of me has always fancied being a wedding planner, so I particularly enjoyed that element of the book.

As my three-star rating suggests, I did enjoy Vision in White. It was entertaining in the way that a lot of modern fiction is. There's no denying that Nora Robert is a talented writer, and the fact that she has such a huge fanbase is testament to that. The main problems I have with this book is the main character. Mac isn't a character that I found particularly likeable. We get almost the entire book from her perspective, and while it's easy to see why she's like she is, it doesn't necessarily elicit the required sympathy. She's stubborn and neurotic, and, unfortunately, rather irritating.

The book that I read included the first chapter from the next in the series, Bed of Roses. It's Emmaline's story, the florist at Vows. In just one chapter, Emma was a more likeable character to me than Mac had been throughout the whole of the book I had just read. I am going to read the rest of the series, just to see what the other main characters get up to, and also to see where the minor characters fit in.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Vision in White.

August 7, 2012 – Started Reading