Jane's Reviews > The Way to a Woman's Heart

The Way to a Woman's Heart by Christina Jones

Aug 07, 2012

I mentioned in another review that I have been in a reading funk just lately. I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that I have been obsessed with the Olympics over the last couple of weeks; nothing seemed to hold my attention for very long, and I went to the library needing a few books that were easy and fun, and nothing that would take too much in the way of concentration. The Way to a Woman's Heart was one that I picked up, and it took me less than a day to get through it.

I have read quite a few of Christina Jones' books before; the first being one that I was given for Christmas. When I first read Hubble Bubble , I assumed it stood in isolation, but over the years I discovered many more books that were set in the same area, with the same mystical elements to them. The Way to a Woman's Heart is one of those books. I didn't realise it when I picked it up, but when I started to read it I realised that reference to the storyline of this book had been made in a book I read a few weeks ago.

I knew I was going to enjoy this book. I don't indiscriminately like chick-lit (a term I'm not that fond of); I have been unfortunate enough to read some that are simply badly written. I knew, from previous experience, that this wasn't going to be a problem with a Christina Jones novel. I knew that I would probably like the heroine, in this case, a young woman called Ella who, deciding she needed time out from her busy London life, relocates to the Berkshire countryside. I knew that there would be a romantic interest for Ella, who would be gorgeous and charming; Ash fulfils that role nicely.

The story sees Ella and her new housemates, including Ash, enter a television cookery show. The story is set in a small village just outside the familiar Hazy Hassocks and Fiddlesticks locations that we know from other Jones novels. Where Hubble Bubble gave us magical recipes from an old book found in the attic, and Heaven Sent gave us mystical results from alchemy and fireworks, The Way to a Woman's Heart gives us fairies. The mystical elements of Jones' books are never overt, usually just a suggestion here or there with a fair few cynical characters to wonder about the existence of fairies or ghosts or magical recipes. By setting these books in the same area, Jones allows herself to neatly explain these mystical happenings by suggesting that they live in a particularly magical area.

As with most chick-lit novels, there isn't much here that you won't expect. It would be a disappointment if there wasn't a happy ending, but the fun is in reading about the path of true love, rather than expecting to be surprised by the destination.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Way to a Woman's Heart.