Nicole's Reviews > The Blood of Olympus

The Blood of Olympus by Rick Riordan

Aug 06, 2012

bookshelves: j-drive

I was very excited for the final Heroes of Olympus novel, as well as dreading it. Overall, while I loved certain aspects of the book, I was a bit disappointed. There were a lot of great developments, most notably Nico. Nico was always such a misunderstood character and we never got to see his point of view, and therefore never really develop an attachment towards him. I definitely felt a greater kinship to him in The Blood of Olympus and I'm quite fond of him. He stepped up his novel and pushed himself to the brink in order to get the Athena Parthenos to Camp Half-Blood, nearly killing himself in the process. Journeying in such a small group with Reyna and Coach Hedge forced him to open up and reveal himself, and I'm glad to see Nico and Reyna become friends. Throughout the series Nico has been a loner and he had been insisting that ever he completed his mission he would be leaving both camps forever - fortunately, his experiences have convinced him otherwise. It seems as though he is now over Percy and may have a new potential love interest who would be a great fit for him. I think we're all happy to see that for Nico. I was also glad to hear more from Reyna - she hides her emotions and thoughts so well, and it was great hearing from her point of view so we could see what exactly goes through her mind in difficult situations. I definitely give her credit for having faith in the quest and the importance of a Roman bringing the Athena Parthenos to Camp Half-Blood. Another thing Rick Riordan did beautifully in this book is bring out my hatred of Octavian even more so - I didn't think it was possible! You learn exactly what he is capable of in a seat of power, and thankfully Reyna returned to return the legion from the brink of extinction.
However, there are lots of negatives in my opinion. In general, the book seemed rushed, especially during the battles with the giants and Gaea. Compared to The Last Olympian and even the battle at the Roman camp in Son of Neptune, we didn't get nearly as many details, and I felt very detached from the experience. It seemed too easy, too fast, too unbelievable. We also didn't feel the sense of loss that we've felt in previous battles - we are told that the losses were heavy, but we didn't get to share in the grieving process because we weren't exposed to any of the deaths. Not that this is a pleasant thing, but I feel it's important to feel the characters' losses in order to truly experience the book.I'm also saddened that we didn't get to hear from Percy or Annabeth during this book. I've been a loyal Percy Jackson fan since the beginning, and it just didn't feel right to me to be so detached from them for possibly the last book ever. An additional point with Percy in particular was this so-called "fatal flaw" that the series kept hinting at. We were expecting Percy to encounter a huge decision that he would not be able to face and overcome, which would have consequences. I assume this huge decision was the point at which Leo, Piper, and Jason had to take to the skies to defeat Gaea, and Percy was forced to stay behind against his instinct. I'm sure this took a huge amount of willpower for Percy to stay back, but we didn't get the enormity of the situation in this book. This plot point was almost ignored, and I expected so much more after being teased with it during the series. I feel the same way about Frank's firewood - his life was supposed to burn bright and short, as stated throughout the series, but in the end we know that his life will not be so short. Perhaps Leo helped thwart fate with the fireproof bag which now holds the wood, or maybe this threat passed after they freed Thanatos, but again this plot point had too much attention and not enough of an outcome. Lastly Leo - we basically knew throughout the series that Leo would potentially be the one to die out of the 7. He was the seventh wheel, "to storm or fire the world must fall", 7 being an unlucky number, etc. In the end, it was he who had to be sacrificed in order to kill Gaea, but he was able to thwart death with the Physician's Cure, administered by Festus. And again, not that I wanted any of the 7 to die, but his death seemed way too easy to overcome, and even though everyone said he was dead, it was pretty obvious he wasn't staying dead. We didn't get that moment of shock and grief that the demigods had, which took away from the experience. However, I can't say how overjoyed I was that Leo made it back to Calypso. I love the two of them together - it wasn't love at first sight, but they definitely grew on each other (like Percy and Annabeth) which seems more real to me.
All that being said, I still enjoyed the novel, and if we never hear from these demigods again in forthcoming novels, we have a good idea of how they all turn out. Percy and Annabeth studying in New Rome together while finally getting a break from monsters and quests, Jason and Piper continuing their relationship while Jason strives to get each and every god recognition in both camps, Hazel and Frank newly promoted at Camp Jupiter and working with Reyna to rebuild it. And of course Leo and Calypso, flying away with Festus with no destination in mind. I will definitely miss these characters, and I hope I get to read about them again.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Blood of Olympus.

August 6, 2012 – Shelved