Becky's Reviews > The Prisoner of Heaven

The Prisoner of Heaven by Carlos Ruiz Zafón

Aug 06, 2012

bookshelves: translated
Read in August, 2012

THE PRISONER OF HEAVEN is set after THE SHADOW OF THE WIND. Daniel and Bea are married and have an infant son. Sempere & Sons has seen better days, but is still hanging on when a mysterious customer arrives and purchases a rare copy of Dumas' COUNT OF MONTE CRISTO. Lo and behold, the copy is intended as a gift for Fermin. Daniel is skeptical of the transaction and quickly closes up shop, following the man through the city streets in hopes of discovering something to support or disprove his gut feeling that something strange is going on. When Daniel confronts Fermin over the issue, he learns that his old friend is hiding some very strange secrets in his past. And those secrets concern Daniel as well.

I should warn you that you definitely need to read both THE SHADOW OF THE WIND and ANGEL'S GAME before diving into THE PRISONER OF HEAVEN. It's been long enough since reading its predecessors that even I've had a bit of a time reacquainting myself with the characters and the overarching storyline. Nevertheless, I thoroughly enjoyed returning to Spain and Sempere & Sons. THE PRISONER OF HEAVEN was a fabulous addition to the series! Word has it that Zafon has intended this to be a four parter, in which case I will be waiting in great anticipation to see what comes next!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Prisoner of Heaven.